1989 RR USA Pickup question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 RR USA Pickup question

I got a question for the pickup experts here.
    My 1989 RR USA that I love deeply originally came with something similar looking to a Bill Lawrence pickup. I pulled those and put in EMG 85's, those stayed in for many years until I played a friends Gibson 2001 reissue Flying V. The Gibson had a 500T and a 496R in it. That Gibson V's tone was killer, so I pulled the EMG's and put in a 500T and 496R into the RR. It sounded better than the EMG's but didn't really make me say "WOW" like I was expecting. So, I pulled those out of the RR and put them into my 2 Ibanez RG's. The RG's sounded much better than what was in them before. They both sound big and powerful.
    So then I put a Duncan SH6 and SH4 into the RR to see what that would do, it sounded about the same as the 500T and 496R!!!
    Now, I believe that the RR USA was overall a better guitar than the Gibson V. The RR is such a sweet guitar, but it's lacking the tone that makes you go "Holy Shit, listen to that!!!"
    I gotta say, that V was smoking, and many Gibson V, Explorers that I've tried all had the same power and bite to their tone. I love my RR and will keep it forever, but I have to do something to get it to come alive. It's gotta be the pickups right??? :think:
    Thanks for you comments in advance.
    P.S. Yea, I went ahead and bought a damn Gibson anyways but that's not the answer I'm looking for.

To me the EMG 85 sounds more like a muddy pickup I personally like the EMG 81 For leads and the EMG 60 Sounds good in the neck. You could try a "Dual 81" set up see if you like that. I just bought 2 at guitar center and put them in my jackson rr3 and they sound awsome! Also make sure your pots are new, you get new ones with the emgs so throw them in there as well.
    Last edited by blitz; 01-05-2009, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Not going back to Actives

I was satisfied with the 85 for a while. It was better than the 81 IMO. But I'm sticking with passive pickups. I just need to find the ones that will do the job. EMG were good for a while but I've been there, done that. Maybe it's in the pots? Hmmm...

Comment

I know that when I changed my pots the sound got alot better and even a cleaner tone. If you have a 3 way toggle try a 5 way switch there are many different ways to wire your guitar up it just takes time to find the sound your looking for. Good Luck!

Comment

Sadly, some Jacksons are just tone dogs. I've come across a few that no matter what pickups were in them, they never could deliver the goods. Might simply be that.
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Well, your RR is probably made of poplar or alder, which would explain why it sounds different from a Gibson made out of mahogany.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Agreed wood is another big difference in sound, maybe it was a good idea just to buy that gibson )

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                Well, your RR is probably made of poplar or alder, which would explain why it sounds different from a Gibson made out of mahogany.
                I second that statement. I had my Rhoads short wing made out of mahogany and you can tell the difference.

EJ

Comment

I did the same exact thing. I came off a Gibby V and to an RR. I found the tone to be less "full" or have less "bite" or whatever. I put in my EMG's (that were in the Gibson) and was less than impressed. I added an EMG PA2 and dialed it up to about 75%, that did it! Now it drips with tone and puts a smile on your face. You can feel the evil emanating from it! The 18v mod makes a HUGE difference in EMG's also, but The PA2 alone works wonders.

Comment

Try an SH-5 or SH-11 if you are a Duncan guy. Maybe an Air Norton if you wanna try DiMarzio.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Looks like I have to be the first one...

I have a 1989 USA RR aswell! Post pics of yours! I'd like to see it!

And FYI, I bet the wood is poplar! Big majority of them from that period is!

Comment

I agree that wood may be the issue, but my SL2H goes toe-to-toe with my Gibsons.

I'll go with charvel750 on this one. It just may be a tone dog.

One other suggestion - maybe try Jackson pickups and electronics. I have a 1992 RR1 with J90C's and a boost (not sure if it's the JE-1000 or JE-1200).

Comment

I have 2 -89 USA RR's. First one has SD Livewires and I absolutely love those 18v monsters. Just mental PU's and work really well with poplar RR. They're just so beyond anything else I've ever tried and I like them very much.

Second -89 RR has factory J-80 on bridge and J-50N neck + JE-1000. That does really not kick so hard without JE-1000, but with booster on the I like the sound a lot.

Comment

BKP Ceramic Warpigs you'll never want to play anything else
                            You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

I like the Jackson mid boost system and Jackson pickups.The RR is probably poplar so passives should work well.Try an rsguitarworks.net pot upgrade kit before ditching the pickups.
                              The pots that come with the EMG's will not work with passive pickup they are the wrong value.You need two 500k pots for passive pickups.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X