Mod A 98 Shannon Soloist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mod A 98 Shannon Soloist?

So...I have one of the fabled Blue Ghost Flame Shannon Soloists. I freakin' love the thing except for the Pearly Gates in the Bridge. I was going to put a good 'ol JB in there and then I thought -- "wait a sec, this is a @#$%ing Mike Shannon Soloist, I shouldn't change a thing!"

Do you think that modding a guitar like this changes or maybe even kills the value of the guitar? Honestly, I'm not a vintage guitar nut. But I have seconds thoughts about modding such a thing.

gm.

I doubt a pickup swap is going to hurt it, but I'd hang onto the old pickup just in case.

Also, to appease the nitpicky morons out there, overpay for someone at a reputable shop (read: anyone but Guitar Center) to do the work. That way the resale value isn't hurt too much, though they'll still want somewhat of a discount because they will want to use that as a vehicle with which to take out their frustrations that they didn't/couldn't buy one before on you.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

change the pup......i've a couple of those shannon soloist's and i hated them, i used the tb-14, and like newc said keep the pup for if you do sell the guitar....

jon

Comment

I've not tried a PG - what don't you like about it?

I love the JB in my SL2H.

I don't think changing it will hurt the value.

Comment

:ROTF: Dude, just change the pickup if you want to. I just got off the phone with Mike Shannon and he said he don't give a shit.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

its YOUR guitar ! if you're not happy with the sound then whats the point having a guitar that you love but doesn't sound that great? changing a pickup isn't going to hurt it. go for it man!!!

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
              :ROTF: I just got off the phone with Mike Shannon and he said he don't give a shit.
              even if this is true its hilarious!

Comment

Changing pickups isn't an issue at all to me, especially if you keep the original. Even then, most pickups are easily accesible so it's easy enough to track them down if the new owner must have it original....
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Wouldn't a Duncan Distortion be more 'period correct'? That's what the early Rhoads models had.

Comment

Its not like we're talking about pulling a set of PAF's out of a 59 LP and replacing them with Super Distortions.

Do what you want.
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

:ROTF: Dude, just change the pickup if you want to. I just got off the phone with Mike Shannon and he said he don't give a shit.
                      Yeah. I just e-mailed Billy Gibbons about the Pearly Gates and he said the same thing.
                      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

lmao!

I had a Slime Green one and swapped all the P/u out the first week I had it... Don't worry about it! Just do it!

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
                          Wouldn't a Duncan Distortion be more 'period correct'? That's what the early Rhoads models had.
                          I asked Mike Shannon about the reason the weak Pearly Gates was used in the bridge of the Shannon Soloists and he said that decision was Donnie Wade's, thats why that pickup is in there. Donnie Wade is no longer with Jackson AFAIK. I hate that pickup in the bridge position although its nice for a neck pickup in an SL2H.
                          Anyway, I'd swap in whatever your favorite pickup is and just hang onto the original pickup in case you want to put it back in later.
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

I have a black Shannon Soloist, and i swapped the PG for a JB and i like it much better now.
                            BTW, if anyone are looking to sell their Shannon, i would be interested
                            Guitars:
                            Jackson USA Shannon Soloist (blk)
                            Jackson USA Custom Shop SL2H white/Silver Ghost Flames
                            Bernie Rico Jr. Hybrid Vixen (blk)
                            BC Rich NJ Gunslinger

Amp:
                            ENGL Powerball -> ENGL Pro Cab 4*12(V30's)

Comment

Working...
                            X