DMxxx serial number question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMxxx serial number question

Ok Jackson savants. When was the DM prefix used in serial numbers? I know it was used on the PCS series but was it used at other times?

I have found a KV1 from ?1991? with a DM prefixed serial. (actually I shouldn't call it a KV1 just a King V)

Thanks all
    Kevin
    Last edited by veemagic; 01-23-2009, 06:34 PM.
    "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Interesting. DM on a KV1 says "Dave Mustaine" to me, and in 1991 he would have been having a lot of guitars made for him.

I have no clue really, these are just my thoughts.
    Scott

Comment

They apparently used the "DM" on the serial numbers around the early 90's for a little while.

I have a KV from 1993 that's DM029 93.

Post pics!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
        They apparently used the "DM" on the serial numbers around the early 90's for a little while.

I have a KV from 1993 that's DM029 93.

Post pics!!
        Is that one of the Players Choice Series ?
        "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Originally posted by veemagic View Post
          Is that one of the Players Choice Series ?

Nah, mine is a custom I ordered in 1992. It was originally Silver Metallic but it had taken a beating over the years. Had it refinished last year to this:

Comment

Thats very nice. So they used the DM for your custom in '92? That was before any sig model. Then maybe then the 1991 was correct.

Comment

Tough to say.

Is it the one that was on Ebay and is on Craigslist?

Black with gold hardware and a Floyd?

If that's the one in question I don't know how likely it's a 1991 build. It has 24 frets and a different control config, so that rules out the PCS series. It also has the smaller pearl logo and "Dave Mustaine" signature on the headstock that started to pop up around 1996 with the KV1.

It may be one of the limited runs Jackson did for Musicians Friend in the mid-90's. There was a run of KE1's and KV1's that had gold hardware and Floyds. Those may have had the DM serial still, but I don't know for sure.

Comment

Tough to say.

Is it the one that was on Ebay and is on Craigslist?

Black with gold hardware and a Floyd?

If that's the one in question I don't know how likely it's a 1991 build. It has 24 frets and a different control config, so that rules out the PCS series. It also has the smaller pearl logo and "Dave Mustaine" signature on the headstock that started to pop up around 1996 with the KV1.

It may be one of the limited runs Jackson did for Musicians Friend in the mid-90's. There was a run of KE1's and KV1's that had gold hardware and Floyds. Those may have had the DM serial still, but I don't know for sure.
                Hi Brian, the serial number of this one should be KV-MF XX, not DM XX

Comment

Originally posted by euronymous View Post
                  Hi Brian, the serial number of this one should be KV-MF XX, not DM XX
                  Yeah, I don't know if the one pictured is the one the original poster is talking about. I just wondered because that one has popped up on Ebay and Craigslist recently and the seller says it was made in 1991. Though, the only model it actually resembles is the Musicians Friend King V's.

Comment

Yeah, I don't know if the one pictured is the one the original poster is talking about. I just wondered because that one has popped up on Ebay and Craigslist recently and the seller says it was made in 1991. Though, the only model it actually resembles is the Musicians Friend King V's.
                    I dont know if thats the one or not. Which craigslist did you find it?

Comment

This ad http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/msg/992144649.html

He also claims the inlays are abalone.

Comment

No thats not the one. The guy I am talking about has a few nice pieces. I am currently working out a deal on one of them. I will post more on that once its done. He also has this 1991 King V with the DM prefix and it would appear this was used quite a bit before the signature line was started.

Comment

Originally posted by veemagic View Post
                          No thats not the one. The guy I am talking about has a few nice pieces. I am currently working out a deal on one of them. I will post more on that once its done. He also has this 1991 King V with the DM prefix and it would appear this was used quite a bit before the signature line was started.
                          Heheh PM me some info on the DM KV if you're not going for that one if you don't mind please.

Comment

Working...
                          X