Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USA Model that would be as thin as a '93 Import?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Model that would be as thin as a '93 Import?

Hi Guys

Let me explain my somewhat amusing situation - I currently own a 2006 DKMG and a 1993 Dinky AR (Carved Top).

The AR has its bridge fixed and is drop C tuned but sadly it has a SD Jeff Beck in it. The DKMG, i like to keep E tuned but obviously has the EMGs in it perfect for metal....aaaahhhh..so thats annoying.

Having been able to play much more im starting understand my requirements for a perfect guitar and last night i realised the DKMG is a wicked guitar but its so thick! My 93 AR is slim-linedm much more carved and basically fits against my body like it was meant to be...

So Im now on the hunt for a guitar with the following specs...but im alsmost at the point of commisioning my luthier to make one - but i really, really really would like a Jackson USA...

I would want the slim shape of the 93 AR import but the fretboard of the DKMG. I would want the 81/65 Duo with fixed bridge, I'd like it made from swamp ash like my 93 AR - the bass from that is far superiour to alder DKMG.

Area there any UA Jacksons out there like this or is it a custom shop job?

The nearest i can actually see shape wise is the COW signature but i want the other pickup and i dont like the idea of no fretboard markings and it's a bit boring coming in Metal Black, Satin Black, Black suprise and Black with a hint of slightly more black ;-)

Help..otherwise its of to my luthier to build a Jackson copy

You can swap the pickups in the guitars, but to my understanding EMGs sound the same in any wood due to there inbuilt preamp. as far a thin bodies go, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Comment

The entire body isn't really thinner, it's just that the edges are tapered. Measure from center of the top at the rear strap pin to the back and they should be the same thickness, within 1/16"

However, the Ash body is definitely different tonally.

At this point you can either swap the EMGs to the AR, or have a local luthier carve the DKMG to match the AR.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

<comes back to PC...5 mins later after measuring>

Um, ok how dumb do i feel right now

Ok, so now for my second question...what other Jackson models are tapered like the AR? rather than the DKMG...which is obviously a lot heavier as well.

I can't say i would have the guts to get someone to mutilate my CB blue swirl paintjob...

How weird how the feel is completely different just because of the shape of the carve!

Tonally i find the ash MUCH more bassier - is that comensurate with what you would expect NewC?

Comment

Another vote for a us sls, it's my most comfortable guitar. The front and back of the body are tapered to a thin edge and it sits just right. It is a short scale though, which I also prefer. The older us sls are 25.5 though. There are two imports the slsmg and the sls3 but I can't remember if the bodies are tapered the same way and they are also both 25.5 scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Arsos View Post
            You can swap the pickups in the guitars, but to my understanding EMGs sound the same in any wood due to there inbuilt preamp.
            Wrong.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Daywalker View Post
              <comes back to PC...5 mins later after measuring>

Um, ok how dumb do i feel right now

Ok, so now for my second question...what other Jackson models are tapered like the AR? rather than the DKMG...which is obviously a lot heavier as well.

I can't say i would have the guts to get someone to mutilate my CB blue swirl paintjob...

How weird how the feel is completely different just because of the shape of the carve!

Tonally i find the ash MUCH more bassier - is that comensurate with what you would expect NewC?

Well, there's the Stealth, and the the 97 USA SLS I had was tapered like that as well, not to mention the JacksonStars NASL.

The Ash-bodied KV I had a few years ago did seem to have more bass than the KV3 I had around that same time, but then again they also had different pickups (JB vs Duncan Designed) and different bridges (tuneomatic mounted in an ebony block vs trem).
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

My usa SLS is snakeskin finish 25.5 scale and really is the mutts nutts!
                I will get pics up today of her for you daywalker
                Here they are.

And a few of jacksons secret weapon import guitar the great kevin bond rr sig import that i love and play a lot even over my rr1!

Last edited by Rebirth; 02-01-2009, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X