Soloist SL2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloist SL2

Hello, I am new here and have a question about the pre fender soloist SL2s made in 96-97 in Ontario.

Why was the model discontinued? What is the difference, other than the pickups, between SL2H and SL2? And how can one identify a guitar as being an SL2.

Regards!

All the "2" USA models had ebony fretboards with no inlays (except the JZB2, which had a pao ferro fretboard), and matte-finish import hardware (again, except the JZB2 bass, which had black).

There was an SL2, a DR2, an RR2, and the JZB2.
    Only the SL2 was neckthrough, the others were bolt on.

As for why it was discontinued - who knows? I'm sure Jackson was trying to bring out a USA model that was less expensive then the regular USA models, and the only wa to do that was to cut back on the "easily replaceable" stuff like hardware. Using low-cost hardware shaves $200-$300 off a USA model. By skipping the inlays, you shave off another $200 or more, thus you end up with a USA-made guitar for up to $500 less than the regular USA model.

My guess is that many people found it to be too much work for them to replace the hardware, figuring they'd end up spending the same amount as buying a regular production model once they replaced the import stuff. Most likely, they didn't realize they were under no obligation to replace it all at once, so the $500 in extra cost to bring it up to USA specs in one day would be their own fault.
    Even then, they'd have a USA model for the same price but without inlays.
    Last edited by Newc; 02-06-2009, 12:39 AM.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks alot for the answer Though you did not mention the SL2H.... Do you mean that the hardware on the SL2 is cheaper than the SL2H or the SL1?

Comment

Yes. The SL2, RR2, and DR2, all used import (Japanese-made) hardware. The SL2H uses an Original Floyd Rose and USA-made pots and knobs.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Hmmm, I found one on craiglist for 1200CAD with a pretty new hardshell case, which I've seen costs about 150$. so that would make the guitar like 825USD... I've held it, it's pretty mint. After searching around here I found this: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...&highlight=SL2

Thought the ad doesn't exist anymore, I believe they are the same. Yellow one from Toronto. Wierd that he hasn't sold it in that much time, though it could be that I'm buying from the guy who bought it from the guy who made that ad.

I was leaning toward it over an ESP eclipse-ii, now I am not so sure... It feels a bit better, nothing major, I just prefer strat shapes over LP :P

Thanks
          Last edited by Mosho; 02-06-2009, 02:17 AM.

Comment

I've played a couple of teal green SL2s and short of the bridge, they are real solid guitars. The plain fretboard is totally sleek looking and at the time there was no twin humbucker Soloist, only the SL1. It is one of those Jacksons that if you find one for a nice price, you might want to grab it.

Comment

I've played a used SL2 at a store before and it was nice. I'd take it over an ESP Eclipse personally. I own some ESP's myself and not putting them down at all but the SL2 is still a USA Jackson. Newc described it pretty good, Its been a while since I played that guitar and I don't remember anymore if it had binding on it. I'm thinking besides no inlays that they may have had no binding either but not sure on that.
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

I think there was black binding on those. They also made the SL2S which had sharkfin inlays.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I got it

It's really great, I haven't played many guitars, but I tried both the eclipse and the sl2, and the sl2 just feels... better? I dunno how to explain it, the eclipse, with all its fancy finish and whatnot, just feels.. cheaper. I hope I don't regret it I have 1 problem though. The high E string keeps slipping off the fretboard! it's really close to the edge. the low E has much more room. Should I change the bridge if I get the chance?

Comment

Cool brother- glad you snagged it. Clean it up, set it up, tune it up and play the heck out of it. Get to know it and gradually do whatever upgrades you feel necessary. Do your research before you get a new bridge, I'm pretty sure you need a Shaller stamped Floyd Rose because your trem rout is a little shorter and won't accommodate the string lock screws on a OFR.

Comment

Originally posted by triplehold View Post
                      Do your research before you get a new bridge, I'm pretty sure you need a Shaller stamped Floyd Rose because your trem rout is a little shorter and won't accommodate the string lock screws on a OFR.
                      An OFR will fit in place of a JT-580.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'll see what I can do then...

Do you guys think 800$ was an ok price for it? I've actually now seen a slatqh for like 1100$ maybe I should have gotten that :X

Comment

Thanks toejam- OFR/JT-580 is permanently (I hope!) in my aging memory bank. Mosho- 8 large is ok, you have a USA Jackson and an SL2 has its' own cool factor!

Comment

Thanks

I have another question... I read that the sl2 has stock kent armstrongs. This one I have here has 1 kent (at least I think it is) and 1 SD. I don't mind different pickups. but the guy told me that he opened it up and it seems like there was no extra soldering done and that the SD seems to have been installed in the factory. What do you guys say, is that possible?

Comment

It's possible that someone other than the factory has the soldering skills to do a clean job so that a pickup swap looks factory, but I doubt Jackson would have mixed pickups intentionally.

Comment

Working...
                              X