Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweetone Questions

Hey Guys,

I wanted to know what you guys think about the Jackson Sweetone. I have seen one at a local shop that has an arched top and P90s. I thought it sounded great the couple of times that I tried it out. However, I don't really know much about these guitars. I searched some of the threads, but there does not seem to be much info on them.

Anyway, I have a few questions about them. Are these guitars generally well reviewed? Are they worth getting? How much do you think they should cost? Why are they not making them anymore? Also, are they all made in the USA?

Also, if there are some negative experiences with them, please let me know.

Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.

I've added this link from another post. THe guitar I am asking about looks very much like the third one from the top in this image.

Last edited by nhlstar; 02-13-2009, 12:31 AM. Reason: adding a link with a picture

I played one of those and really didn't like it. I felt the body was too small for the type of guitar it's supposed to be, and on the one I tried the neck felt like a baseball bat.

Granted this was at NAMM in 2004, so that neck profile may have been only on that specific guitar. That's the only one of the Arched/Bent Tops I've tried.

I do love my Jazz'R, though.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by nhlstar View Post
      Are these guitars generally well reviewed?
      The neck is either a fairly thick "thin" or a hard v - not exactly everyone's cup of tea. The finish and materials on these is second to none.

Are they worth getting?
      If you like thicker necks and want a light weight guitar that combines bite from the maple, thick body from the mahogany and blooming resonance from the spruce, it's a solid addition to a player's collection. Like any neck thru Jackson, there are some duds out there where the wood just doesn't deliver the desired results.

How much do you think they should cost?
      Seem to be market priced like a USA soloist or pc1 1200-1500. They feel and look like high end custom instruments so you will see some high asking prices.

Why are they not making them anymore?
      Production costs too high, sales too low. Some would say the aesthetic too directly competed with FMIC's other brands.

Also, are they all made in the USA?
      Yes.

Also, if there are some negative experiences with them, please let me know.
      Covered pickups in my 2h model squealed like crazy. Removed the covers and that took care of that. The templates from which these were made seem to have been slightly off. You can see where the shop, realizing that the p/u routes were off center, expanded the hole with a dremel. They did that post shielding paint and did not reapply the shielding. In use, that is a minor issue, but does run counter to the overall quality of these instruments.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, yours in particular Aron. I think I will need to go try the guitar out again. I didn't get much time with it. The store I went to had twon models. One had the carved top with P90s(the one I like), and the other had a non carved top with some type of SD Humbuckers. I have not tried that one.

I am looking for something new to add to my collection, and this guitar seemed different and had good playability, at least that was my impression with the brief time I had with it. Anyway, I will let you know what happens. I may also go try a soloist, as I have never played one in the past. My only Jackson guitars have all been RR models. So I want to get something that is a Jackson, but not an odd shape.

Also, one of you mentioned a Jazz'R. Is this one available anymore? I wouldn't mind trying one. I also would like to try a Scott Ian model, but I hear they don't make them anymore. I'm not sure if these guitars are at all similar, but I like the astheics.

Thanks again

Comment

None of the SweeTone models are made anymore, and Jazz'Rs are kinda hard to find used. I've seen more of the Bent/Arched/Carved Top models for sale than Jazz'Rs over the years.

I haven't tried a Scott Ian model, but then I'm not a fan of that body style, either.
          Those pop up pretty often on Ebay, both the USA and import models.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
          X