KV2 action problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KV2 action problem...

So I went to setup my KV2 BGF as I was gonna use it live tonight... I havent touched the guitar since I got it aside from playing it. Figured Id throw some strings on, set the intonation and play her live for the first time. The action was a bit high, so I decided to lower it while Im at it... and here lies the problem. The floyd is pretty much already bottomed out in the rout. If I bring it down any more, the floyd wont move as it will basically be sitting on the stud shelf.

Im kinda at a loss here, not really sure what to do now? The relief is fine, everything else is in order... just no physical way to get the action and lower, and all things considered, compared to all my other Jacksons its pretty high up there. Any suggestions? Guess Ill have to use the trusty ol' Rhoads Pro again... just kinda wanted to go a little more flashy tonight with the KV2.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

That really sucks, bro.
    Gibson SG Standard
    Jackson DK2M Dinky
    Silvertone S615 Acoustic from the 60's
    Roland Micro Cube
    Marshall MG100DFX

Comment

And your getting no fret buzz?
      Marshall JCM800 2203
      G12K-100w Cabinet
      Jackson RR24

Comment

Get out the dremel and remove a bit of wood from the shelf.
        Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

If it just spontaneously happened, that pretty much means the neck jumped doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            If it just spontaneously happened, that pretty much means the neck jumped doesn't it?
            On a neckthru?
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
              On a neckthru?
              When I say jumped, I mean twisted/bowed/straightened/etc.

Comment

Shims under the saddles? Inserts pulled up a tad?

Dunno what else to say. If the relief is good, the strings should be bottoming out on the frets before the trem does in the route.

Make sure the knife edges are in the grooves on the posts and didn't slip down tot he shaft when you changed strings. Had that happen to me once and couldn't get the action set right till I fixed that.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Didnt just gradually happen... the action was a bit high to begin with, I just chalked it up to the setup... I dont always setup my guitars right when I get them... theres so many that they usually just get worked into the rotation or when I need them.

There are no shims, post inerts are fully inserted, neck isnt twisted or warped. With the bridge ALL the way down, basically sitting on the shelf, the action is right about where it should be, could even stand to go a bit lower. But at that low, the bridge literally has zero movement. Not only that, with the bridge that low, the strings are almost hitting the oem pickup rings. Its almost like the neck-thru blank wasnt made right or the fretboard wasnt thick enough.

I could surely rout out the shelf some to give the bridge some more room to swing, but then the strings will be pretty much hitting the pup rings... and to be honest, Im not really looking to do that kinda work to a guitar of this caliber.

Seems like Im 0-2 for USA's. Ive never had any of these problems on the various imports I have or have had. SUCKS because its an AWESOME axe, another one of my dream guitars... and its not even stageworthy. I guess Ill have to contact FMIC eh? Ugh, not again!!!
                  Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Here's an idea without seeing the guitar.
                    You could add some thin pickup rings (to allow you to lower the pup), then go up one more guage on your strings, if you'd be ok with that? (You could tune it down to get your strings feeling close to your normal guage of strings.)

Also maybe adjust your Floyd a little sharp, which would effectively lower the action a tad... just a thought.

...OR, take your saddles off and shave them down until you get the finish off of the bottom. Stop when you reach the metal.
                    It's not much, but anything in this case will help.

Otherwise, I'd opt to shave the route a little deeper....
                    Last edited by metalchurch79; 02-15-2009, 06:03 AM.
                    'Howling in shadows
                    Living in a lunar spell
                    He finds his heaven
                    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I've love non-recessed Floyd guitars where the bridge is resting on the body in a dive-only configuration. I rarely pull up, and the stability is very nice. While it would be a bit odd to have that in a non-recessed Flody, it seems like it might be a good option here.

Comment

I think the problem is the front edge of the route, not the back recess.

As a note, don't order a neck-thru with a no pullback trem. Not being able to lower the bridge takes out some adjustment, and even Lee at GMW says that it's tough to get the angles exact...
                        Popular is not the same as good
                        Rare is not the same as valuable
                        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I've got my Floyd flush with the top of the body and it's O.K. I wish the KV2's were built with just a little more neck angle to get the tremolo just a bit higher off the body. Where do you guys have your's set? Also, weren't older KV's made with more neck angle?

Comment

Are you sure that the neck doesn't have too much bow? That would seem to be the most logical explanation.

Comment

Trust me, the neck has no bow. Everything else on the guitar is 100% in order.

Comment

Working...
                              X