Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are all Jackson NAMM guitars custom shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are all Jackson NAMM guitars custom shop?

I know that NAMM guitars are sometimes specially built for NAMM, but are they really custom shop if they don't have the "custom shop" label? maybe they're just custom ordered?

Jackson also show USA Select and import guitars at NAMM, so no, they're not all Custom Shop guitars.

Not all custom shop guitars have the 'Custom Shop' logo on them. For me, a custom shop guitar will have a 'J' or 'RR' prefix (neck thru) or a four digit serial (bolt on). For the most part, if a guitar has a 'U' prefix, it's not a custom shop as far as I'm concerned...
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

thanks, I just bought a "U" guitar advertised as a "custom shop" guitar. It did not include a certificate but the work order states that it was built for NAMM.

Comment

Comment

A "U" custom? or not? that is the question.....

Comment

Sometimes regular production models just get graphics thrown on and are sort of considered "custom".
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

well, what about Mother of Pearl Inlays in the body? (like these are) is that really "custom shop" if it's not labled so?

Comment

Well, it's not a standard finish, but if there are no wordworking changes other than the badass MOP skulls I can see them just grabbing a select from the line to work with, which would give you the "U" serial.

"Custom" or not, its a sexy woodchopper.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

That guitar is symptomatic of the 'grey area'. It's a standard spec RR1, but with a custom 'visual' feature i.e. the inlaid skulls. Personally, I wouldn't consider the guitar a true custom, because of the 'U' serial.

Over the last year or so, Jackson have sent a lot of production guitars ('U' serials) to Mike Learn for paint so we've seen a lot of custom graphics on standard guitars. But again, I would tend to see these as standard guitars with custom paint, rather than custom shop guitars. Even if they have a 'Custom Shop' logo on the headstock...

Comment

It's really hard to photograph, the mother of pearl doesn't show up in the pics very well.....

Comment

it doesn't say "custom shop" on the headstock only "made in USA" but I guess it does have custom features.....
                      Last edited by Voyager1000; 02-19-2009, 11:11 AM. Reason: misspelled custom....

Comment

Originally posted by Voyager1000 View Post
                        I guess it does have custom features.....
                        Well, it has custom skulls. That's the 'custom' part...

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                          For me, a custom shop guitar will have a 'J' or 'RR' prefix (neck thru) or a four digit serial (bolt on). For the most part, if a guitar has a 'U' prefix, it's not a custom shop as far as I'm concerned...
                          Same here. Not all Custom Shop models are Custom Ordered by a dealer/customer. Most of the Custom Shops at NAMM are ideas cooked up by Jackson specifically for NAMM. Some are actual orders they received and used in the show.

No matter what's done as a graphic or added to a USA Select that is built next to other USA Selects, I don't consider it a "Custom Shop".

Custom Shop models, as I understand it, are built by a handful of builders - Shannon, Santana, etc - not by the same people that build the USA Selects.

However, if they take an un-serialized nearly-completed USA Select from the line and do cosmetic things to it, then stamp it with a Custom serial (J, RR, etc), is it in fact a Custom Shop? :think:
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I would agree as well, this is a "USA select" guitar despite the fact that it has a "team built custom" work order from Jackson to produce this guitar for the NAMM show.

Comment

those skulls are really cool. i'd like to see them up and down the fretboard.
                              -------------------------
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X