Any other AT1 owners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any other AT1 owners?

I bought an almost-mint `90s AT1 about a year ago, and decided to take it to the local Jackson-authorized guy who shares my appreciation for somewhat unusual guitars. He's a luthier to be precise, and charges way too much for a setup, but I still take some guitars to him exclusively. For its first trip to the shop, the AT1 went to him.

All was not well. Somehow, I hadn't noticed that the bushings for the Wilkinson bridge were rising up out of the body, which were ultimately removed, glued and reseated. Then there was a different issue, also relating to the bridge - it was installed too far from the neck joint, and thus doesn't intonate quite right. Definitely a build issue, the tech tells me, unrelated to the bushings issue. He set it up as best he could without any woodwork, but it will always intonate slightly flat.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has an AT1, and if they've had any intonation issues. This is one of the initial builds with the 4+2 headstock, of which I've read there were only 20 made, but I doubt that anything else was different between those and the 3+3 version. I bought this guitar mostly for the "cool factor" rather than to gig or record with, but I am curious if this was just one guitar that slipped past QC, or if they all are slightly off.
    sigpic

Since it's a bolt on, you could see about having the neck holes filled and redrilled, and maybe some of the butt shaved off to make it fit a bit closer to the bridge (and maybe a hair off the edge of the board if it's too close to the neck pickup).

Always thought the AT-1s were neat, just needed a Floyd
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

We discussed those changes to the neck joint, but I'm going to just leave it alone for now. Even though AT1s were neither sought after nor (apparently) popular, this is one guitar that I am content to store in its case to spare it some wear and tear. Not that I wouldn't gig with it at some point, but that would probably call for at least a pickup swap, and I'm reluctant to do even that. The neck pickup has the best clean tone I've ever heard out of a humbucker, but the bridge position sounds too "open" for my style of playing.

I need to get some newer pics of this guitar. The top on it is absurd.
      sigpic

Comment

I had one and the pickup routing was off. Neck pocket was not real tight either. Quality didn't seem up to par with my sl1's i have owned.

Comment

Working...
        X