Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does swapping a pickup void your warranty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does swapping a pickup void your warranty?

I got a 1 year fender warranty with my KV2, plus i extended the warranty with long+mcquade for an extra year. i like it but I wanna put my dimebucker in the bridge. will that void my warranty?

Yes sir it sure does, it will void the warranty on your electronics.
    Last edited by blitz; 04-05-2009, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Not sure about Fender, but Gibson will let you take it to an authorized service center to have the pickup put in without voiding the warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by blitz View Post
        Yes sir it sure does, it will void the warranty on your electronics.
        Hmm well that's cool as long as you're sure it's only electronics. im pretty handy with a soldering iron so nothing would ever go wrong that I couldn't fix there. i was just kinda worried i'd put the pickup in, and then in 8 months something happens like something on my floyd gets stripped, and then they go "oh no, you've modified the instrument, nothing can be done"

Comment

I'm sure if you can handle a soldering iron, you could handle a few allen keys.
          Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
          Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Yea it will just void the electronics part of your warranty, as far as a floyd if you strip something out im sure you know how to use a tap and die set :P

Comment

Re:

Warranties are only one year now on USA Jacksons? I thought they were longer or is that CS stuff only.

Comment

Yeah, I thought USA-made Jackson guitars had a lifetime warranty?

But that's only for the construction itself - neck, body, paint (if it were to develop a problem on its own, like the headstock clearcoat issues a few years ago), fretboard/frets/inlays, etc. Say your neck starts warping or frets start popping up or the body wings separate from the neck tenon - that sorta thing.

I've never heard of anyone offering a warranty for the electronics other than the basic "if we didn't wire it properly we'll rewire it, or if we put in a bad pickup/part/switch and QA didn't catch it".
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by blitz View Post
                  Yea it will just void the electronics part of your warranty, as far as a floyd if you strip something out im sure you know how to use a tap and die set :P
                  Haha nope man, I can wire a guitar from scratch (as long as it has no push\pull pots or anything advanced like that) but I can't really do anything else.

I don't have the patience for setups or anything else, i'd rather pay someone to do it perfect to factory specs (although nobody around here seems to be able to do that..)rather then try and do it myself and screw it up.

although one time I did , with my moms help , build a stratocaster from parts, when i got the neck it was 3 bolt (didn't show it in the pics on ebay, bastard) and we converted it to a 4 bolt. thats about the extent of what i can do

Comment

If you strip a screw on the Floyd, like when you're changing strings or setting it up, it's not under warranty. That's normal wear and tear and your responsibility.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeah that's cool, I hope I don't do that , haha, I meant something that wasn't my fault, I just don't really know enough about them to think of something that fits that description

Comment

Interesting question, along with the answers. But let me ask you, has anyone ever used the warranty on a guitar? If so, for what?
                        Don't blame Congress or the President - blame yourselves. ~Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Strangletooth View Post
                          Interesting question, along with the answers. But let me ask you, has anyone ever used the warranty on a guitar? If so, for what?
                          The Floyd on my PC1 was installed crooked. The top stud was further back from the other by about 2mm. Just enough to make the trem pop off a post on deep dives.
                          Sent it in and 45 days later all was good.
                          They made a new body for mine.
                          -Rick

Comment

Working...
                          X