Kahler-Leave as is, or try this. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahler-Leave as is, or try this. . .

Since getting my blue '86 Jackson, The Kahler on it hasn't really done what a Floyd would do(I've had other guitars with Kahlers...you could murder the thing all day and it would NOT budge the tuning!). It is very sensitive, returns flat, if you simply touched the bar, it'd go out of tune. I tried three different top locks(all factory Kahler) and decided just to bag the toplock, run the stock nut and leave it alone. That's like leaving a 500 hp car in the garage because you don't want to pay the gas bill LOL!

SO: I am asking the forum for help. Many of you love these bridges. I love this particular guitar. It's sound, feel and playability are second to none!! I think it's 99% there...just wish this would stay in tune when dive bombed, or even just a little bit used as it is meant to. I "WAS" thinking on doing a floyd nut/shelf mod....But I would like to keep the guitar from being modded.

I have always used regular strings. 9-42. My tech was stumped as well. It's just one of those things that bugs me when I look at the guitar. All those other tricks we're tried too, soldering the strings, bending them a specific way prior to putting them on. W/O the toplock...it stays in tune beautifully! I'd simply like to be able to use the bar...etc.

Pointers? Ideas? Suggestions? Thank you!!

Like me, I'm sure you never tire of Jackson guitar pix! So here it is

With the nut locked and hooked up to a tuner, can you push any of the strings behind the nut and get them to go slightly sharp?

Comment

re:

I have an 87 with a kahler. I installed sperzel's and the thing stays in tune really well. Never had a huge issue before them, but now, once you get the stings in tune and stretched a bit, it is rock solid.

Comment

I agree with what Axewielder is getting at. You need to make 100% sure you know where the problem is. If it returns flat after a divebomb, that usually indicates a problem at the bridge end rather than at the nut end. If it's slipping at the nut, then usually it will return sharp from a dive, flat from a pullup. The fact the problem is still there after changing the lock twice also makes me think something's up with the bridge.

Comment

Should I replace the springs underneath? perhaps they're fatigued? Thanks guys! I appreciate it.

Comment

I'd just install a Kahler Flat mount and be done with it.

Comment

Check the angle of the bar the strings go over on the bridge increase the angle thats one thing.Make sure the saddles are tight and not slipping.The springs may be weak too thats another area to look.I like the heavy spring kits.
              Doesn't sound like a string lock problem to me.
              Check to see if the strings are binding at the nut.Use some graphite in the nut slots.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The graphite in the slots has been done. I'm thinking the springs could be it. Good thing I didn't put a floyd nut on it

I will report back, Thank you again.

Comment

The springs weaken and wear out over time - so they could just be "tired." Have you completely disassembled the bridge, cleaned it and lubed the rollers?
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Grandturk.

No...never did on this one. Perhaps I should. I've taken about five or six Floyd bridge's apart to change blocks, replace saddles etc. I'll have to check the diagram. I'm always fine at ripping it apart...putting back together was another story hehe.

Thanks!

Comment

There's a lot of moving parts on these things - as Floyd guys are quick to point out!!! If everything's not smooth, stuff can bid up - especially the rollers, but personally, it sounds more like the springs have lost their fluxy.
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Here's a great post that Bret did for the Tech section sticky thread on cleaning up & maintaining Kahlers:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...2&postcount=10

Comment

Working...
                        X