eVolution: ALL the differences between the KV1 and the KV2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eVolution: ALL the differences between the KV1 and the KV2

I am curious to see all the differences between the two models as the KV1 has evolved, then changed into the KV2 over the years.
    '02 Jackson KV2
    '92 Jackson Rhoads PCS
    '92 Jackson Rhoads Tribute

The KV1 didn't change into the KV2. They were two separate models. The KV2 was just the Floyd Rose alternative without LSR tuners. Spec-wise it followed suit with the KV1 changes (woods, frets, etc).

To my knowledge the only variations are the early KV1's were poplar with jumbo frets. They eventually started using alder with medium frets. Towards the end of production some of 'em were being made with the standard Jackson gotoh tuning heads instead of LSR's.

I've also heard some of the early KV1's have the "standard" neck profile and not the "speed" one that eventually became the standard.

Comment

Are you saying the KV1 Series ran concurrently with the KV2 series until say 200? when the KV1 was dropped, and both underwent design changes simultaneously? One detail that seems to stick out in my head for instance is the knob placement. My understanding is the second volume knob on the KV1 was placed more in line (in the way) of the pickup toggle. I have never heard of a KV2 having this original placement, and I am not aware of a KV1 that relocated the knob.

I guess what would kick 10 tons of ass is if we all could reconstruct a KV timeline on this thread with the inception of each model, and how each was tweaked over the years to get a better understanding.
      '02 Jackson KV2
      '92 Jackson Rhoads PCS

Comment

Originally posted by V-man View Post
        Are you saying the KV1 Series ran concurrently with the KV2 series until say 200? when the KV1 was dropped, and both underwent design changes simultaneously? One detail that seems to stick out in my head for instance is the knob placement. My understanding is the second volume knob on the KV1 was placed more in line (in the way) of the pickup toggle. I have never heard of a KV2 having this original placement, and I am not aware of a KV1 that relocated the knob.

I guess what would kick 10 tons of ass is if we all could reconstruct a KV timeline on this thread with the inception of each model, and how each was tweaked over the years to get a better understanding.
        But Brian just answered your question precisely.

Comment

The control configuration/layout for the KV1 & KV2 has been the same since the introduction of both models.

There are other KV control configurations, such as the PCS config, but they were never used on the KV1 or KV2.

Comment

Gotcha and thanks. I suppose what I am confusing is a specifically configured KV1.
            '02 Jackson KV2
            '92 Jackson Rhoads PCS

Comment

The KV-1 started life as a smaller version of the Double Rhoads King V, which was made from two long wings of a Rhoads. Even though Robbin "King" Crosby of RATT was not the first to have that model, he was the most-seen with it, so it became known as the "King V" for him rather than the fact that it was bigger than a Gibson V (the only other symmetrical V shape at the time), and thus "King-Sized".

The KV-2 was originally an import bolt-on, and was made alongside the KV-1 in 1996.

Later, the KV-2 became a USA model that had similar specs to the KV-1, albeit with a Floyd and regular tuners instead of the Kahler 3310 non-trem bridge and LSRs.
              The import KV was reintroduced as the KV-3.
              There was also a neckthrough import KV-4.
              The KV2T came about after the FMIC buyout, and the Demmelition V is a new model, but has some funky "inner V" chunks in the crotch.
              There have been rumors of a KV-5, but I don't see it happening unless it's got the KV-4 specs (rosewood, no binding, etc). Otherwise it's competition for the KV-2 and KV2T, or for another potential USA KV.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Sometimes this gets confused because Dave Mustaine had a couple of different controls layouts on his guitars thru the years... but I guess that the normal production models stayed the same.
                '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
                '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
                custom made Les Paul
                VOX Tonelab LE
                Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
                ADA MP1
                BBE 422A
                Lexicon MPX-G2
                ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
                Support Your Local 81

Comment

Originally posted by El Chiguete View Post
                  Sometimes this gets confused because Dave Mustaine had a couple of different controls layouts on his guitars thru the years... but I guess that the normal production models stayed the same.
                  That's true. I can only think of a small handful of them that popped up mostly during the Youthanasia era that had different layouts.

His Silver "Number 1" KV

The Players Choice Series KV

And this Korina KV that had the second volume control removed altogether.

There was also 1 or 2 Black Megadeth logo KV's made around the RIP era that had different control layouts as well. They weren't photographed very often. Here's one of 'em. Has a glittery Megadeth logo and what appears to be a Randy Rhoads control layout.

Comment

I wonder which one Jani has?

Comment

Originally posted by Brooke View Post
                      I wonder which one Jani has?
                      He has the one you see in 90% of the photographs and videos from Peace Sells through the RIP era. Was originally made for Mustaine in 1986 I believe. Has been refinished and repaired a couple of times.

Lucky bastard

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                        The KV1 didn't change into the KV2. They were two separate models. The KV2 was just the Floyd Rose alternative without LSR tuners. Spec-wise it followed suit with the KV1 changes (woods, frets, etc).

To my knowledge the only variations are the early KV1's were poplar with jumbo frets. They eventually started using alder with medium frets. Towards the end of production some of 'em were being made with the standard Jackson gotoh tuning heads instead of LSR's.

I've also heard some of the early KV1's have the "standard" neck profile and not the "speed" one that eventually became the standard.
                        I always thought there eairly KV1s were ment to have a slightly thinner profile like the MIJ King V Pro. did i get that all wrong then?

Comment

Originally posted by ze29de View Post
                          I always thought there eairly KV1s were ment to have a slightly thinner profile like the MIJ King V Pro. did i get that all wrong then?
                          Hard to say how many of the early models had what. I never played one with a standard profile but I have read there were some made that way.

Most of the KV1's (and the USA KV2) had the speed profile as that was Mustaine's spec/preference. The speed profile is very similar to the MIJ KV Pro neck. If I remember correctly the KV Pro's had a slightly flatter shape on the back.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                            Hard to say how many of the early models had what. I never played one with a standard profile but I have read there were some made that way.

Most of the KV1's (and the USA KV2) had the speed profile as that was Mustaine's spec/preference. The speed profile is very similar to the MIJ KV Pro neck. If I remember correctly the KV Pro's had a slightly flatter shape on the back.

I had a KV pro that I had to sell when I needed some quick cash.

That guitar was outstanding. Pretty close to the neck on a KV2, Flat, but just a little bit thinner on the back.

The materials in the guitar were incredible, and the balance was perfect.

Comment

Let's not forget that after it was the Double Rhoads but before it became the signature King V Pro/KV1, it was just the "King V" for a while. Smaller KV1 shape, but various options appeared like Kahler trems, poplar wings, 3-way switch instead of a 5-way blade, odd pickup ring sizes, 1 vol 1 tone instead of the 3 knobs, etc.
                              Last edited by Axewielder; 04-13-2009, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X