Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to recognise a fake?

Hi all,

I am sure I have read this thread a long time ago, but I can't seem to find it right now.

My question is:

What are the tell tale signs that you are looking at a fake 'Bolt on Neck' Jackson USA?

I had always thought the serial written on the body (in a suitable cavity), the serial written on the neck (under the bolt on bit) and the serial on the neck plate should match.

However, the more bolt on's I look at the more I see they don't. They can't all be fakes can they? Or at least cannibalised parts.

By fake I am defining that it is not as it left the factory. I guess as long as they are all period items (neck, body, electrics etc) it doesn't really matter. But if I were looking at a supposed high value original, you would want it all to be right really.

Maybe some of you guys can lay out for me what you should expect to see on an original bolt on model?

the numbers you are referring to, written in the neck pocket & on the neck heel, are often work order numbers. They shouldn't be the same as the serial number. The guitars will be built to a spec before a neck plate is grabbed off the pile to attach to the guitar, so the serial hasn't been assigned during the build and any numbers written on the body & neck won't correspond to the neck plate.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

wondered about that myself.
      Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

If we're talking early guitars (i.e before USA Production started churning out guitars with std specs), there are so many variables, especially with bolt-ons, that if a guitar has been put together well, by someone who knows what specs compliment each other, it's gonna be tough to spot a mutt. It's much easier to spot a 'thrown together' mutt, but again, there are so many variables to detail that it's difficult to be specific - however, you'd need to look at logo style, tuners, bridge, nut, control layout, control route, neck plate, body cuts etc etc
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

There's a distinct difference between fake and mutt. Fakes are made with non-Jackson parts and represented as original Jackson components. Mutts use real Jackson parts from different models (i.e. AT1 neck on an RR2, etc).
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            There's a distinct difference between fake and mutt. Fakes are made with non-Jackson parts and represented as original Jackson components. Mutts use real Jackson parts from different models (i.e. AT1 neck on an RR2, etc).
            So what would say a Kramer body with a Jackson neck be? A "hybrid?" A "Bastocasto?"
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post

Thanks guys,

Newc, I think my search may expand to allow what you are decribing.

I want a mid 80's USA Dinky. Trouble is the ones I feel certain are original are very expensive. The ones that are cheap I am very sceptical of (even if they appear legit). This is only an issue because I am looking online, if I were able to play the guitar and hear it I would know right away if it was at least near to correct.

For my purposes a Mutt made from correct period parts would be just fine, what I don't want it JS picukps and neck on a USA body. I think looking for a pure original is too much of a minefield.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                So what would say a Kramer body with a Jackson neck be? A "hybrid?" A "Bastocasto?"
                A Jamer?
                A Krackson?

:think:

Comment

Originally posted by bratfink View Post
                  A Jamer?
                  A Krackson?

:think:
                  Barinky?
                  Dinketta?
                  Nightswoloist?
                  "Dear Dr. Bill,
                  I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                    The one I threw together here at the shop that was a Jackson body with a Kramer neck we named Kracker

Comment

Working...
                    X