Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have an idea what Y2KV's are worth nowadays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody have an idea what Y2KV's are worth nowadays?

Hey all,

I'm currently looking into trading in my Y2KV for a new Dean VMNT (I know, I know, probably blasphemy, and I apologize for my lack of taste), and am wondering if anybody has any idea on how much these things are worth? I talked to a dealer today and was stunned that the offer wasn't even close to $1,000 USD for an extremely good condition used gunmetal gray. They start on EBay at around $1,500, I've heard that Vintage Guitar Guide lists them at $2,000, and one dealer is selling the USA Flag model for $7,500 new.

I guess I just am really clueless on what these are worth. I mistakenly sort of posted an ad in the Classifieds for it, but am not going to sell it on here and apologize to the mods for that (I don't even know that they've noticed, but I don't want to give the wrong impression).

Really, I'm just looking for some thoughts from people who know more about this stuff than I do. I really thought that, being a collectors guitar and being discontinued what, 6 years ago, this thing would be worth way more than what I was offered earlier today.

Any thoughts?

What some people are asking and what they're actually selling for seem to be quite different. The economy isn't helping matters.

I picked one up that was in maybe 8/10 condition a couple months ago for $1200.

Mint condition with case in a solid color my guess is $1300-$1500 would be reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
      What some people are asking and what they're actually selling for seem to be quite different. The economy isn't helping matters.

I picked one up that was in maybe 8/10 condition a couple months ago for $1200.

Mint condition with case in a solid color my guess is $1300-$1500 would be reasonable.
      I agree, I think the economy is really hurting things now. I know as recently as October, people were selling them for much more. I just wish there was some kind of consensus on what this thing was worth, so I don't get ripped off by a dealer.

Comment

How many Y2KV's have Floyds? I lucked upon this one last year, and it is a Custom Shop J serial number, but a Floyded Y2KV should command a higher price than the standard USA Production models.

"Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

That's actually the first Y2KV I've seen with a Floyd... I don't recall Mustaine ever using one, either. That thing is SWEET.

Comment

Don't trade such a treasure for a vmnt man!
            It will be pain in your ass when Dave comes back some day

Comment

They are worth total obedience and loyalty. I'll take it!
              Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
              Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Didn't Toejam have a VMNT for sale recently?

No way I'd trade a Y2KV for the Dean. And don't fall for the $1000 from the dealer. I had one of the few import bolt on models and stupidly sold it. I paid about $650, got maybe $500.

I saw another one (probably the same one) sell on Ebay for almost $1000 about a year later. For a bolt-on import Y2KV.

Economy shmonomy - if anyone's got the scratch to blow on guitars right now, they need to cough up what it's worth, not just what they're willing to part with and hoping to make a profit above later.

Don't take less than $1400 for it. If the next owner doesn't have room to make a buck, piss on him, because that's what he'd do to you in a New York Minute, then come here to brag about the hose-job he gave you.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by The Mitch View Post
                  Don't trade such a treasure for a vmnt man!
                  It will be pain in your ass when Dave comes back some day
                  I'm also considering my dream guitar, too... A Jackson Randy Rhoades, white with gold bevels.

I don't know why, but I LOVE the Angel of Deth VMNT. I know I'd be trading down in terms of quality (not just leaving Jackson for Dean, but dropping the best V I've ever played for the VMNT), but I still can't help myself.

I guess I just like new toys that much.

Comment

Here's what you do.

KEEP THE Y2KV
                    Dress up as an old man (you must not be recognizable)
                    Go to a GC that has the Angel of Deth
                    Pick it up, then drop it just enough to cause a noticeable chip in the paint
                    Walk out
                    Come back undisguised
                    Offer to buy it from them b-stock

But whatever you do, step 1 is a MUST

Comment

Originally posted by guitarist1993 View Post
                      Here's what you do.

KEEP THE Y2KV
                      Dress up as an old man (you must not be recognizable)
                      Go to a GC that has the Angel of Deth
                      Pick it up, then drop it just enough to cause a noticeable chip in the paint
                      Walk out
                      Come back undisguised
                      Offer to buy it from them b-stock

But whatever you do, step 1 is a MUST
                      I'm not gonna lie... This is a good plan.

Sadly, I literally have no money to actually spend on a guitar, so that's why selling the Y2KV is a must. I'm definitely starting to second-guess my decision–I jammed for about an hour today on the Y2KV, and I still love this thing.

Plus, now I'm torn between the Angel of Deth, a Razorback, or the RR I mentioned in my last post. Bah.

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomLord View Post
                        That's actually the first Y2KV I've seen with a Floyd... I don't recall Mustaine ever using one, either. That thing is SWEET.
                        Dave actually had a couple made with Floyds, watch the Rude Awakening DVD. That one Joe's got might be one of Dave's.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          Didn't Toejam have a VMNT for sale recently?
                          I do have a VMNT1 in metallic silver for sale still. It is a very nice player, but I really don't play it that much compared to my RR1T and other guitars.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            I do have a VMNT1 in metallic silver for sale still. It is a very nice player, but I really don't play it that much compared to my RR1T and other guitars.
                            Have you played or do you own a Y2KV? If so, how do you compare the VMNT?

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              Dave actually had a couple made with Floyds, watch the Rude Awakening DVD. That one Joe's got might be one of Dave's.
                              Weird that I've seen RA a million times (Deth is my favorite band), and I don't remember this. Whoops.

Comment

Working...
                              X