Ngd kv2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ngd kv2

I have been wanting a KV for 18 years, and finally pulled the trigger on one. Jackson has no records of the SN so they thought it was a pre-Scottsdale, but the paperwork has a 10/02 publication with Scottsdale address, so I would assume this is an early Fender model.

The guitar is beautiful and feels great in my hands. Overall I'd say I was thrilled, but for one issue. The fret ends are so sharp they are threatening to shred the side of my damned index finger if i keep playing.

As beautiful as the guitar looks & feels, the last thing I would have expected would be for such an avoidable QC issue to pop up. It particularly sucks since the trustworthy guys are backlogged and the only way to circumvent the line is to buy pickups (installed) then ask them to do the fret business. The KV2 cleaned me out, so that isn't going to happen anytime soon. Guess I should stock up on bandaids.

Anybody else have sharp frets on their USA? I wonder if it was due to the transitional period.
    Last edited by V-man; 04-18-2009, 06:57 PM.
    '02 Jackson KV2
    '92 Jackson Rhoads PCS
    '92 Jackson Rhoads Tribute

I haven't had that problem on any of my Jackson. It occurs on my Taylor acoustic, but it ain't as bad as you describe...
    '08 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
    '09 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
    '09 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe Fatstrat
    '12 Charvel ProMod SoCal Japan
    '17 Gibson Les Paul Classic
    '13 Gibson M-III
    Taylor 214CE
    Dean 6-string Bass
    Morgan Ukulele

Comment

I've had a few frets like that, not much problem to fix though as long as you're comfortable working with a fine grade file near your guitar neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Voyager1000 View Post
        I've had a few frets like that, not much problem to fix though as long as you're comfortable working with a fine grade file near your guitar neck.
        Unless it takes forever to take the material off (cant take too much off too quickly) and there is a good tutorial handy, no, I'm not comfortable cutting my teeth on the Jackson.

I know it's an easy fix, but I am just shocked it's on a USA Jackson of all guitars, particularly with my Jackson experiences.
        '02 Jackson KV2
        '92 Jackson Rhoads PCS

Comment

Originally posted by V-man View Post
          Unless it takes forever to take the material off (cant take too much off too quickly) and there is a good tutorial handy, no, I'm not comfortable cutting my teeth on the Jackson.

I know it's an easy fix, but I am just shocked it's on a USA Jackson of all guitars, particularly with my Jackson experiences.
          My Soloist is a post-Fender buy but it is absolutely flawless in its construction,but as a merger/takeover/buy-out occurs there probably will be QC issues.Sorry to hear about your trouble.Are you the V-Man from HC?

Comment

HNGD!(0Y0) By the way!

Comment

Not to side track this thread but what is a ESP/Hill Kerry King V?

Comment

Originally posted by shredtilurded View Post
                My Soloist is a post-Fender buy but it is absolutely flawless in its construction,but as a merger/takeover/buy-out occurs there probably will be QC issues.Sorry to hear about your trouble.Are you the V-Man from HC?
                One and the same

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                Not to side track this thread but what is a ESP/Hill Kerry King V?
                A 17 year old $3500 custom built long story
                '02 Jackson KV2
                '92 Jackson Rhoads PCS

Comment

One and the same

small world

Comment

One and the same

A 17 year old $3500 custom built long story
                    I have a ESP Kerry King V from 92 as well can you PM me the details. I know Hill made basses for Tom Araya and am wondering if he made Kerry's Vs as well from this time frame. You can send me a private message or start a new thread if you feel like it.

Here is a pic of my KKVs.

Comment

Awesome set you have there.

Well, back in the day I was dying for an ESP V. I checked with my ESP dealer and they informed me that ANY off-body started at $3,000. so, being a kid in high school that worked part time at subway, I was hosed. The only sigs in known existence back then were the George Lynch models, and maybe some silly offerings from the band, Living Color. They were selling licensed ESP necks though, so I scored one and found a shitty silverburst flying V, and dumped everything in John's (Hill) lap for some custom work.

After about a week or so, he just asked me why not have him do an ESP V body and get what I wanted. I said what the hell and the nightmare began. He found a Kahler (pre)lawsuit "stealer" FR tremolo, sperzel tuners, drilled out the dot inlays for diamonds, and I wanted a custom-rigged EMG 81/89/PA-2 set up. It took more than a year, and the cost mounted and mounted over the time needed to finish it.

In the end, it cost me what an ESP custom would have. In retrospect, I would have just had Hill do a ground up custom, but all I could think of was an ESP. The worst partwas that 4 years later, ESP licensed a KK sig for half of what it cost me to do this guitar, but that's water under the bridge. This one's one of a kind and the heaviest sounding guitar I have owned.

I need better pics. I just had a full setup done recently, and I scoured it top to bottom.

Last edited by V-man; 04-18-2009, 08:14 PM.
                      '02 Jackson KV2
                      '92 Jackson Rhoads PCS

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

sharp fret tutorial

Comment

Thanks, TR. I'll take a look at that.
                          '02 Jackson KV2
                          '92 Jackson Rhoads PCS

Comment

My KV2 has a lot of sharp fret edges =/

It's circa 2002... I really should have them seen to!

Steve.

Comment

If the V you recently purchased was used. It could be that the finger board dried out and shrunk. Leaving the fret ends to stick out of the edge of the finger board. This happens if a guitar is neglected and kept in a dry enviroment. The wood could have also not been dried long enough and it shrunk after the frest were installed. I doubt this as it is a USA Jackson. Thats usually the case on a cheap import like a Squier or someting and not a USA guitar. The best ifx ix just file the ends down. If it's new bring it to a certified JAckson tech. It's covered under the warrenty and should be done gratis.
                              Gil

Comment

Working...
                              X