help!!my sl2 neck back bowed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help!!my sl2 neck back bowed

my sl2 neck is straight but 1st - 3rd fret part is back bowed.Any solution?thanks~~~

Are you sure? It could be a high nut, or the frets have lifted due to weather, humidity etc. Is it under Warranty? Get an authorized Fender repair center to look at it. They may be able to perform the repair locally or the guitar may need to be sent back to JCMI.

Welcome to the forum, by the way
    Last edited by Bengal65; 05-13-2009, 10:30 PM.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Adust the truss rod.If you have never done it take to some one who has.
      If you feel you can do it take off the truss rod cover use the correct wrench.
      Look down the neck from the headstock end and turn the wrench a little to the right less than a 1/4 turn this will tighten the rod and remove the back bow.Let it react to the adj and see if that clears up the problem.
      If it dosen't want to turn don't force it take it to a pro.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

+1 to straycat. You won't have an issue turning the truss rod, just a 1/4 turn, and you should be all good.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I thought a back bow was from an over-tight rod. Are you guys sure he shouldn't be loosening the rod?

Back-bow = low strings / fretting out.

Comment

Yes - loosen the truss rod - 1/4 turn at a time - retune, check, repeat as necessary.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Yes, if it was back-bowed you would loosen the truss rod.

Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey.

Is this a new guitar? Or did this "just happen"?

Comment

Well, if you think about it, the wrench will turn to the right to loosen it up, since it's not forming a complete circle. If it was forming a complete circle, like say a bottle cap or a light bulb, then yes, you would follow the "lefty loosey" spec.

However, that cannot apply to something like this which takes minute adjustments for the simple fact that a newb would overcrank it.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  Well, if you think about it, the wrench will turn to the right to loosen it up, since it's not forming a complete circle.
                  You lost me there... you turn the wrench counter-clockwise, which is (looking head on at the nut) to the left, in order to loosen the rod.
                  Blank yo!

Comment

I'm looking at the end of the wrench, which will move to the right.

Also, it depends on where you put the "mark" on the nut. Hold the guitar with the fretboard facing you, look at the nut, and visualize a small dot on the rim of the nut.

If you put it on the 12 o'clock position (furthest from you) then it moves to the left when you turn it. If you put it at the 6 o'clock position, it moves to the right when you turn it.

Perspective.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'm looking at the end of the wrench, which will move to the right.

Also, it depends on where you put the "mark" on the nut. Hold the guitar with the fretboard facing you, look at the nut, and visualize a small dot on the rim of the nut.

If you put it on the 12 o'clock position (furthest from you) then it moves to the left when you turn it. If you put it at the 6 o'clock position, it moves to the right when you turn it.

Perspective.
                      You're freakin' me out, man!
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Well, if you think about it, the wrench will turn to the right to loosen it up, since it's not forming a complete circle. If it was forming a complete circle, like say a bottle cap or a light bulb, then yes, you would follow the "lefty loosey" spec.

However, that cannot apply to something like this which takes minute adjustments for the simple fact that a newb would overcrank it.
                        What is special about the truss rod adjuster versus any other nut is the effect it has on the neck, nothing more. Tightening flattens or back-bows the neck, and loosening adds relief.

Other than that, it can be stripped by an ill-fitting tool, it can break if over-tightened, etc. just like any other nut. All this talk about visualizing dots at different points on the nut and which way the end of the wrench moves and the orientation of the guitar is unnecessary.

"Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey" is just an old saying to help the inexperienced remember which way to turn a standard nut. The idea was to imply it's just a standard nut. I guess I failed here?

Anyway, really all there is to know is that it's a standard nut, it needs to be loosened, 1/4 of a turn at a time, and then allowed to "settle". This was covered pretty well. If there is still any confusion at this point, take it to a professional.

That's my "perspective."
                        Last edited by MakeAJazzNoiseHere; 05-14-2009, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Well, if you think about it, the wrench will turn to the right to loosen it up
                          No, to the left. You should be looking down at the nut from the top of the headstock.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

One thing, I would recomend loosening the strings before you mess with the rod.
                            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

<P>Yes, agree- Best to loosen the strings a bit, do the adjustment and give the wood a few minutes to adjust before you retune. </P>

Comment

Working...
                              X