WarAngel gets a minor upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WarAngel gets a minor upgrade

Well, I had a choice - drill myself a hole for a volume knob or find an alternative.

I went for a Schatten thumbwheel from StewMac seconds before cranking up the drill

Aside from operating in reverse (it's meant to be stuck under a pickguard on a Jazz box, so the sticky stuff would be on the top of the knob, thus the knob directions would be normal), and the fact I had to use an oversized plastic ring under the metal one to raise the metal ring up enough to get the knob under it, it works perfectly.

Flame away
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

As long as it works and you're happy with it. I've used them on acoustics at the edge of soundholes with never a problem.

Comment

I think you should just use one of those "snap-jacks." When you want to turn off the volume, just snap the connection.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Sorry to ask, but why didn't you just put it on the down side of the pickup?
        '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
        '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
        custom made Les Paul
        VOX Tonelab LE
        Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
        ADA MP1
        BBE 422A
        Lexicon MPX-G2
        ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
        Support Your Local 81

Comment

What about one of those new Seymour Duncan pup rings with the switch built in? You could just wire it for an on/off switch...
          H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

that is a great looking guitar Newc.
            you addition doesn't take away anything, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
              I think you should just use one of those "snap-jacks." When you want to turn off the volume, just snap the connection.
              The jack is on the bottom edge, so snap jacks mean fumbling blindly.

Originally posted by El Chiguete View Post
              Sorry to ask, but why didn't you just put it on the down side of the pickup?
              My pinky would hit it there.

Originally posted by mr426 View Post
              What about one of those new Seymour Duncan pup rings with the switch built in? You could just wire it for an on/off switch...
              I have 4 of the ones that were recalled because of the wrong switches in them. Haven't hooked them up yet, so I don't know what the switches will actually do in those since they're the wrong ones. But I wanted volume control, not just on/off.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

I think it's a fantastic idea. No drilling = good times.
                Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

I love that guitar.
                  Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

That's one slick looking guit.I might have installed a micro-switch to split coils though.

Comment

In the recent decades, we've had a thing called ''volume pedals''. These fabled gadgets were for the guitarists who were too damn lazy to reach for the knob, or didn't have one in the first place. Unfortunate souls.

You learn something new every day.

That's a slick looking upgrade, Newc. Quite innovative too!
                      Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                      Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy B View Post
                        I love that guitar.

Me too!

Comment

Actually I have a Volume pedal, but it's an Ernie Ball High Gain pedal, which is more for driving long cords on stage than 10-footers at home. It was overloading my preamp with the short cord, so I took it out of the loop.

As for coil-splitting, can't say I've got much use for Stratty tones or true cleans on this axe

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                            The jack is on the bottom edge, so snap jacks mean fumbling blindly.
                            Nah - just step on the cord to yank it out. Think of the performance - you could end every song with a big ol' stomp. The crowd would go nuts.
                            -------------------------
                            Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                            X