Educate me on SLS models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educate me on SLS models

I've been trying to find out some information on these guitars and was wondering if anyone can shed some light on them for me. I believe they were available as a USA production model from 1997-1998 and then they were discontinued. I've seen/heard of others being made after that. Would those be custom shop only versions? Does anyone have the spec on the 97/98 models.

thanks!

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

The `90s SLS was a weird one compared to most Jacksons, but that was true of several models in that 1996-97 era. DiMarzio pickups, round/thick neck profile, satin chrome hardware, bound fretboard with no inlays . . . not the usual specs. I own(ed) a few Jacksons from that era and like them, but they weren't what most people were expecting or looking for.
    sigpic

Comment

I own a 200x SLS (I can't remember exactly which year, though), so they are definitely still being made. If you search the web, you can find several stores that have them. I'm not sure if they're being produced as limited runs or what the story is...

Comment

I looked at some older catalogs and the 2005 one had the SLS model listed as a part of the SELECT series.

joe...
        www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
          I own a 200x SLS (I can't remember exactly which year, though), so they are definitely still being made. If you search the web, you can find several stores that have them. I'm not sure if they're being produced as limited runs or what the story is...
          They've been discontinued.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ah, so they were part of the Select series again in 2005? That would explain it. Interesting. I think the S/N on mine would fit with that year.

Comment

Toejam, do you know in what periods they were still being produced? There seems to be an awful lot of them around in stores if you search the web. That's what led me to the conclusion that they are still being produced...

Comment

I actually found them in the 2003 and 2005 catalog so I'm guessing 2004 too as a USA SELECT Model.

joe...
                www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

I think they were discontinued in 2006. I don't think they sold very well because not a lot of people were into 22-fret, short-scale "Soloists" with the 3+3 headstock.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ah, alright, interesting. I must admit that I'm having a bit of trouble adjusting to the short scale but other than that, I love my SLS and it sounds great... Thanks for the info. Curiously, the stores seem to be asking a lot of money for these guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
                      Curiously, the stores seem to be asking a lot of money for these guitars.
                      Good Question.

joe...
                      www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

I would LOVE to get one of the select series SLS models , ihave been looking for one for a couple of years now, my only problem is that it has to be black

Comment

When I was in California in November last year I told myself that I wouldn't buy any guitars on this trip unless I could find an SLS.... When I entered West LA Music (which I always visit on my trips to CA), what did they have hanging right there on the wall?

Comment

I have a newer short scale sls and a sl2h with the sls being my all time favorite. It's too bad they were discontinued as they really are great instruments. I'm partial to short scale so I am somewhat biased though. They had a 10 unit run in spalted maple loaded with emg pickups that I would like to get my hands on.

Comment

Well, here is my (new to me) 2004 SLS. USA Select Model

www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

Working...
                              X