Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Specific Features on Custom Shop, Help Needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specific Features on Custom Shop, Help Needed!

So, I'm thinking of saving for a Custom Shop, but the thing is, I'm 15 and I I know what I want it to look like but I'm a complete Noob at Specifications, if somebody could possibly tell me about normal Jackson Specs.

I'd like to hear what goes well with my order along with Nut Width, Nut Type, Butt Width and what's the difference between Oiled and Painted Necks

Spec Sheet:

Zoom in on pic to read

Thanks!
    Last edited by Mazz; 06-15-2009, 12:41 PM.
    Gear

Jackson DXMG
    Jackson JS30RR
    Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
    Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
    Blackstar HT5H
    Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
    Marshall JCM 800 2203
    Marshall 1960A Cab

Originally posted by Mazz View Post
    Nut Width, Nut Type, Butt Width and what's the difference between Oiled and Painted Necks
    Nut Width - The standard nut width for Jacksons is 1 11/16th. Is that comfortable for you? How does that feel in your hand? Is that width too small, too big or just right?

Butt Width - The standard butt (heel) width for Jacksons is 2 1/4". Again, is that comfortable for you?

Oiled and Painted Necks - Jackson/Charvel started the whole oiled neck crazed. A lot of people really like it because it feels smooth and fast even when you sweet. Conversely, some folks are fine with painted neck. If you're getting a bolt-on guitar, oiled is what most folks go for. Neck-thru guitars typically have painted necks (more aesthetically pleasing) but a neck-thru can still have an oiled neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazz View Post
      So, I'm thinking of saving for a Custom Shop, but the thing is, I'm 15 and I I know what I want it to look like but I'm a complete Noob at Specifications, if somebody could possibly tell me about normal Jackson Specs.

I'd like to hear what goes well with my order along with Nut Width, Nut Type, Butt Width and what's the difference between Oiled and Painted Necks

Spec Sheet:

Zoom in on pic to read

Thanks!
      Dude, seriously, if you're 15 yrs old and you dont know shit about specs, then you should just KNOW that a custom shop guitar is a waste of money... Save the big cost for later and go for a top end JAckson pro or a jackson USA.

Custom made guitars are only a higher value if you are experienced and have played various instruments and you know EXACTLY what you prefer on every specification. Only then a CS guitar is worth it. Otherwise every well made quality instrument will please you just as much, and will save you 3000$

Comment

Mazz,
        My advice to you is wait on ordering a custom shop. Go to your local fiddle-shop and play everything they have until you find something you're comfortable with. Then learn what the specs that make you happy are and find something similar. I'm sure you can find something in the used market that will make you happy and not cost thousands of Pounds.

Good luck and remember the search can be as much fun as the discovery.
        Last edited by GuerillaPete; 06-15-2009, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fretboard View Post
          Dude, seriously, if you're 15 yrs old and you dont know shit about specs, then you should just KNOW that a custom shop guitar is a waste of money... Save the big cost for later and go for a top end JAckson pro or a jackson USA.

Custom made guitars are only a higher value if you are experienced and have played various instruments and you know EXACTLY what you prefer on every specification. Only then a CS guitar is worth it. Otherwise every well made quality instrument will please you just as much, and will save you 3000$
          Who cares if he is 15? If he wants to save his money and get a custom Jackson then he should get a custom Jackson.

Mazz - Matt_B covered most of your questions. As far as nut type, what type of bridge are you planning on going with?

If you're getting a Floyd or Kahler trem, you'll probably want a Floyd Rose locking nut. If you're going with a fixed bridge you have some different options available like bone, plastic, graphite, brass, phenolic, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
            Who cares if he is 15? If he wants to save his money and get a custom Jackson then he should get a custom Jackson.

Somewhere between your answer and Fretboards comments is probably the right answer. If he is 15 and can afford then go ahead by all means but there is something to be said for knowing what you are ordering.

If I were him I would go and find some USA Jacksons and try them out and make sure he likes the feel. From there he can start looking at the specs of what he likes. I wouldn't order it by just going by what the everyone says on an internet board. Go play some real guitars first. Just do it soon or next thing you know you'll be 16 and you won't get the guitar until your 17.
            http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

IMO there's no point of getting a custom shop Jackson unless you know exactly what you want..That's the whole point. But if this kid wants to blow a couple grand on a guitar, hell, post pics (I'll check back in 2 or 3 years).
              Originally posted by horns666
              The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

I know people who are twice his age who have owned and played plenty of different guitars. From cheap imports to high end USA models, and some of them still get confused when they look at a custom order form and have different options available for nut width, butt width etc.

Often times these people know they like what they have, and that's what they want to order, they're just unsure of what it is and don't want to put the wrong thing down on the order form.

I ordered my first custom Jackson when I was 15. Spent the money I had been saving for a car and I don't regret it one bit. Aside from the jumbo frets (I found some years later that I liked the medium frets more) I still spec my guitars the exact same way as I did 16 years ago :p.

And yes, I had to find out what the standard nut/butt width was too :ROTF:

Comment

as I said I'm planning on saving soon I am going to start september - october I would much prefer things that I'm used to or things I like (Floyd Rose, Pickguard, 3-5 way switch and EMG pick ups, all I was basically going for with information was the tiny little specs, and I'm probably going for Medium Frets too so I got most of it planned, I love the sound of EMG's

I'm just thinking between finishes.....

Gear

Jackson DXMG
                  Jackson JS30RR
                  Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
                  Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
                  Blackstar HT5H
                  Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
                  Marshall JCM 800 2203
                  Marshall 1960A Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksons Shred View Post
                    IMO there's no point of getting a custom shop Jackson unless you know exactly what you want..That's the whole point. But if this kid wants to blow a couple grand on a guitar, hell, post pics (I'll check back in 2 or 3 years).
                    That's why I'm not ordering until I get half the money...... I have local guitar stores to test out different features on certain guitars....
                    Gear

Jackson DXMG
                    Jackson JS30RR
                    Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
                    Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
                    Blackstar HT5H
                    Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
                    Marshall JCM 800 2203
                    Marshall 1960A Cab

Comment