Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please authenticate this USA Jackson before I buy

Here's what I was told:
    "I have here a 1986 Jackson model 2 strat. This is a pre-production model made in Ontario, California... these were all custom instruments built to order back then. The thing is beautiful, in near mint condition which is very rare for these guitars. It has the original Kahler bridge, I added the EMG 81, but I still have the original Jackson Pickup."

Here are the pics:
    http://s991.photobucket.com/albums/af38/tednugent4prez/

Really appreciate it, I'm looking at it tomorrow. Looks legit with the serial number and everything, but you guys are the experts. And who's going to fake one like this anyway?

Huh? How is it pre-production if it's from '86?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Looks legit to me. But not a "Model 2 Jackson Strat" as the "Model" series were import Charvels. I recall there was a yellow and black crackle Jackson body on eBay in the past, without a neck, but that all looks good. I'd guess in this market it's worth about $500....

Joe, by "pre production" he means before the USA Production line began, which was 1990 of course. That term is not normally used with Jackson guitars though, it really denotes Charvels. But prior to 1990 there were no production models for Jackson.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Ah, my bad. I was thinking of the Charvel term.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I knew he was a little mistaken about things, I was just posting what he told me. You sure only $500? I'd be trading for a 98 usa strat with added floyd II and SD Invader + orig electronics.

Comment

Originally posted by Final Sacrifice View Post
            You sure only $500?
            It's got a Kahler... like it or not, they really kill the value.
            -Rick

Comment

I would trade a 98 USA strat anyday for a USA Jackson.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

haha I'm mostly with you since my MIM strat is pretty sick (I made it a glenn tipton clone, kind of), even preferred over my old guitar teachers 70-something USA one, but I just want to make sure the value proposition is there. I also want a real shredder pretty bad.

Comment

Not all were built to order. Jackson had to make models for reps to show to retailers to interest them in carrying the brand, and those were certainly not built from Custom Shop Order Forms as most people believe.

And yes, the whole "pre-production" mythos has been blown way out of proportion.

It's way too easy to make mutts these days. I'd want to see serious evidence that it's not a USA body with a Model series neck and a fake logo.
                  There should be numbers on the heel and pocket that match, otherwise it's a mutt. If the heel has import markings, there's no way it's worth $500.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

So short of taking the neck off, I can't really tell? Well, I will know where he lives...

Comment

And if it's not local, he's not worried.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

It's local, and everything seems completely above board, but I just want to do my homework. Hopefully I should have a better background after I check it out/take it home later today.

Comment

I'd offer him $400 for a Kahlered Jackson. Even people that like Kahlers (like me) don't want to pay a lot for them.
                          -------------------------
                          Blank yo!

Comment

If its legit $500 is a fair price.Most of mine I got for that price.
                            If it is a mutt $350.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Damn. I had kind of forgotten about the whole Kahler value killer thing. I havn't been into guitar, and as a consequence this website, as much as I should have lately. Definitely not as good a deal as I thought I was getting before, and now that I think about it, I'm borderline cancelling it.

Comment

Working...
                              X