pc-1 pickup change???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pc-1 pickup change???

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. I bought my first Jackson a few months ago, a solar PC-1. I love the looks, the neck is killer, but I can't stand the Dimarzio pickups. I'm looking to replace the bridge humbucker. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has done the switch. If so what type of pickup did you put in, and what were the results. I'm an SD fan, and was thinking of a TB-11 custom custom, or a screamin demon. Any help??? Thanks

had a custom, custom-custom, JB, and a dimarzio PAF pro in my PC-1. i like the JB and the PAF pro in the PC-1. go figure...
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I'm with ya. I am not a fan of the Super 3. I like the SD Custom Custom and the Custom 5.

Comment

Custom 5 really intrigues me because I love the Custom. Is it similar voice but warmer?
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Mark, you mention you tried the custom custom. How did it sound in the PC-1?? I have one in a Kramer Jersey Star, and I like it in that, but it's an all maple guitar. I'm not sure how it would sound in a mahogany body.

Comment

It's hard for me to compare the Custom Custom and Custom 5 because I had the Custom Custom some years ago in a mapled-bodied Kramer Focus 1000 and I have the Custom 5 in a Koa-bodied Charvel MZ Natural (3 of them, actually). I think they are both warm sounding pickups. From what I've read, it sounds like Koa and Mahogany are tonally similar, so I think the Custom 5 would be a safe bet for a Mahogany-bodied PC-1.

Comment

I have a Custom Custom in my 1988 ESP Horizon. To me it sounds warm, perfect for Judas Priest.

I have a Super 3 but still have not tried it yet. I'm curious as to what you guys think it sounds like, and why you don't like it. I'm guessing it's dark and muddy?

Comment

The Super 3 is one of my favorite pickups. It's got a good bottom end, but isn't too muddy. Actually, what really defines it IMHO is that it has a lot of midrange and natural harmonics, both of which I really like.

Comment

I find the Super 3 to be way to hot, and very dark. Not muddy though. It would be perfect if I was in a Pantera tribute band, or playing heavy music like that. I've never been a fan of ceramic mags. The custom custom I find to be very smooth in the mids and highs. The bass feels a little loose. When I play through a cab with greenbacks it's hard to get a good tight chunk, but it works well with Vintage 30's. I don't experience a harshness using custom custom w/ V30's. Anyone ever try a Pearly Gates in a PC-1??

Comment

Originally posted by ramonemac View Post
                    Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. I bought my first Jackson a few months ago, a solar PC-1. I love the looks, the neck is killer, but I can't stand the Dimarzio pickups. I'm looking to replace the bridge humbucker. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has done the switch. If so what type of pickup did you put in, and what were the results. I'm an SD fan, and was thinking of a TB-11 custom custom, or a screamin demon. Any help??? Thanks
                    I installed a Seymour Duncan Custom Wound 78 Model ( or Evenly.Voiced.Harmonics. ) in my Jackson Pc1 Chameleon & it Rips!!!! The pickup was $160.00 + shipping but it sounds great in a guitar that has Mahog./Maple body. It sings....most of the time I don't have to use the sustainer because I can get sustain for days with just the pickup. I highly recommend this pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by ramonemac View Post
                      I find the Super 3 to be way to hot, and very dark. Not muddy though. It would be perfect if I was in a Pantera tribute band, or playing heavy music like that. I've never been a fan of ceramic mags. The custom custom I find to be very smooth in the mids and highs. The bass feels a little loose. When I play through a cab with greenbacks it's hard to get a good tight chunk, but it works well with Vintage 30's. I don't experience a harshness using custom custom w/ V30's. Anyone ever try a Pearly Gates in a PC-1??
                      I have a Pearly Gates in my other PC1 & it sounds great ,but it doesn't sound as good as the SD Custom wound 78 model pickup.

Comment

I put a Dimarzio Evolution in mine and I thought it rocked. Not a fan of the super 3 at all.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
                          It's hard for me to compare the Custom Custom and Custom 5 because I had the Custom Custom some years ago in a mapled-bodied Kramer Focus 1000 and I have the Custom 5 in a Koa-bodied Charvel MZ Natural (3 of them, actually). I think they are both warm sounding pickups. From what I've read, it sounds like Koa and Mahogany are tonally similar, so I think the Custom 5 would be a safe bet for a Mahogany-bodied PC-1.
                          The Custom 5 is better in mahogany. It's got slightly scooped mids and sounds like a higher output '59.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

the screamin demon is one of my favourite pickups , i would use it in more guitars if it had a bit more output.

Comment

Working...
                            X