Finally changed out the pickups on my RR1t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally changed out the pickups on my RR1t

I've had these chrome covered Duncans Sitting waiting to be installed since last fall. Last night I had a burst of energy and finally installed them. They sound great (TB-5 custom bridge, SH-2n Jazz neck) and I like how it changed the look of the guitar to Chrome Overkill! The interesting thing here is the bridge for some reason is F-spaced, but the hole routed in the body is a little smaller than the pickup with chrome cover. It's like the routing is for non-f spaced or something. Anyway I got the pickup to fit with some gentle persuasion on the cover and using a rubber mallet to ease it in. As a bonus there is some great contact with the grounding paint so it's REAL quiet hehe.

Anyway, here is before...

And here is after. I'll try to get a better after picture outside in good light, I just don't have the time right now.

I have the TR cover off because I decided to go back to 9's after the pickup swap for shits and giggles and still need to re-intonate it but it's pretty exciting having an RR1t that looks different than stock.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Normally I am not a big fan of the chromed out look. But it seems to work on that guitar. Very nice

Comment

Looks good, and I love the paint job, but I would prefer the Black, or White with EMG's, but yours looks great!
      I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Looks good man - nice way to change it up
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Thanks guys. I'd also like to apologize for the amount of dust on my lamp base. Holy crap!

Last edited by Hellbat; 06-23-2009, 09:41 PM. Reason: speeling
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

:idea:and there's a can of dust off sitting right next to it.

Comment

Originally posted by jsuttjackson View Post
              :idea:and there's a can of dust off sitting right next to it.
              No, thats just for huffing...

:ROTF:
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                No, thats just for huffing...

:ROTF:

Comment

What do you notice in the change in tone?

Were the original pickups a JB and 59 combo?

Comment

Original pickups were JB/Jazz. To be honest I had a non-covered custom in the bridge the day after I got it home and can't say what the difference is between the JB and custom in the guitar. I do recall that it had much clearer low-mids than the JB with similar output.

Interestingly enough the covered custom sounds clearer and more 'bell like' than the naked version. It could be string distance as I have it a little farther away from the strings now, or it could be the fact that the cover is slightly wedged in to the pickup cavity making the pickup be essentially hard mounted. Whatever it is I like it hehe. The covered jazz sounds exactly the same as the non-covered version and is killer for clean tones and gainy high register leads.
                    Last edited by Hellbat; 06-24-2009, 12:27 PM. Reason: more commentary.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                      The interesting thing here is the bridge for some reason is F-spaced
                      I noticed the JB was F-spaced when I took it out of my RR1T. I put in a Duncan Parallel Axis Distortion Trembucker, and the strings line up perfectly between its pole pieces.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, yet the covered pickup had to essentially have the base of the cover bent in to fit in the cavity. I guess somebody at Jackson has a hate-on for the vintage look.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

that blue/chrome scheme is beautiful

Comment

Working...
                          X