PC-1 has strange wood combination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC-1 has strange wood combination?

I was talking with a guy on the Fractal (AxeFx) forum who owns a PC-1 and he was saying how none of the presets work for him on the AxeFx because the guitar is so dark. He further went on to say how PC-1's have a terrible wood combination and how high-end builders (like Suhr) don't even want to build guitars with maple/mahogany body and maple/maple neck. He said he sticks with the PC-1 because he's had it for years, loves its feel, and doesn't want to change guitars.

I've never actually played a PC-1....are they really that dark sounding? Is the wood combinatn really that odd/terrible?

I've had a couple guitars with mahogany/maple body and maple/rosewood neck and they were fine. I can't imagine that a maple fingerboard would make THAT much difference.

:ROTF:

Oh, wait. He was serious?

:ROTF:

Tone snobbery nonsense. The PC1's wood combination is superb.

Comment

He bought that PC-3 from Ebay a while back that was billed as a PC-1, didn't he?

Either that or he doesn't know anything about swapping pickups or adjusting amp controls to suit his tonal needs.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

While the Super 3 in the PC1 can be a little dark sounding, it is nothing out of the ordinary or that can't be remedied with a quick p/u swap. Trust me, I've played Suhrs, Andersons, Tylers etc. and the PC1 holds its own against any of them for about 1/3 or more less the price.
        Good deals with:
        Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

Originally posted by srommes View Post
          While the Super 3 in the PC1 can be a little dark sounding, it is nothing out of the ordinary or that can't be remedied with a quick p/u swap. Trust me, I've played Suhrs, Andersons, Tylers etc. and the PC1 holds its own against any of them for about 1/3 or more less the price.
          I agree 100% ! The PC1 is a great guitar with a great wood combination. I changed the Super 3 pickup to a SD 78' model ( AKA - EVH ) & it has incredible tone & sustain without using the sustainer system. The Super 3 pickup was a darker sounding pickup & I have never been crazy about DiMarzio's in general, but I have a couple PC1's & have put SD pickups in both to get more mids to satisfy my tone liking. I wouldn't trade my PC!'s for any other brand & would put them up against the other brands any day of the week.

Comment

A local player in our area has an older PC1 (you know, the one with the ugly headstock ) as well as a Suhr. After a while he sold off the Suhr because he said it was dead from a tone standpoint. The night I saw him play he had a Les Paul as well as his PC1 and the PC1 sounded better than the Les Paul. Another forum member here was at that show as well and noticed the same thing as we discussed it during the show a bit.
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Chad:I don't think of Phil's sound to be dark.A simple Pup swap (ex:Tone Zone) would make it sound happy. I found w/my new aquired SL1 that I need to crank the mid range on my amp.
              Lose the "FX" and plug in it straight into a Diezel VH4 or Bogner.
              Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                I was talking with a guy on the Fractal (AxeFx) forum who owns a PC-1 and he was saying how none of the presets work for him on the AxeFx because the guitar is so dark. He further went on to say how PC-1's have a terrible wood combination and how high-end builders (like Suhr) don't even want to build guitars with maple/mahogany body and maple/maple neck. He said he sticks with the PC-1 because he's had it for years, loves its feel, and doesn't want to change guitars.
                But obviously the guitar sounds like shit and you should convince him to sell it to you really cheap so that he can get a nice bright guitar, like a Strat!

Comment

Tell him to take off his helmet. That should make a difference in what he's hearing.
                  Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Jimmy B View Post
                    Tell him to take off his helmet. That should make a difference in what he's hearing.
                    +1
                    I would say this though, things wont sound as dark, when he removes his head from his ass.
                    I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Warmoth, Anderson, Gibson, Suhr and others use that "strange wood combination".
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Wait a second. Is it a pre-Fender PC-1? That could be the problem right there.

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Wow. Just wow.

Comment

What the hell is that guy smoking???? The PC-1 is arguably the BEST guitar Jackson makes! I have 2 of them...why? Because they're AWESOME. The PC-1 is a tone monster, and extremely well made. I'll put my PC-1's up against basically any other guitar and it will hold it's own or beat it out. I have a Les Paul Custom as well, and the PC-1 is on par with it regarding tone and build quality. That guy is completely out of his mind.

Comment

I would have though that the mahog maple body and maple maple neck wouldnt have been overly dark, I have been told that an Evolution works very well in the bridge of the PC-1...

Comment

Working...
                              X