Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know original specs for a '93 SL1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know original specs for a '93 SL1?

Hi, All! I just bought my second Jackson, but first USA - a '93 Black Soloist. I've had the guitar for about a week now and really love it. It's my first FL trem guitar, so I'm getting used to it and trying to learn how to set it up.

My question is about the original specs for this guitar. It has Jackson pickups and a Schaller licensed (Jackson labeled) Floyd Rose. Was this standard for the guitars back in '93? A couple of the saddles are a little stiff so I am trying to decide whether to replace them or forklift the bridge and put in an original FL.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yup, those were original to both the USA and the Professional models.

The trem was made by Schaller, and the recess/route behind it was cut for that style of trem, so an OFR will not fit. You'll need the Schaller trem if you wish to replace the whole thing.

The good news is the knife edges can be removed from the baseplate, and I think they can be turned around. At the very least they can be sharpened. Replacement Schaller saddles are easy to get from most parts places like StewMac.
    Just make sure they're Schaller parts with the barrel-type string-lock bolts coming out the back. OFR-style will not fit the recess behind the trem.

From what I've read, the Jackson pickups were made by Jackson themselves. Most setups came with an active circuit, but the pickups themselves were passive (many mistake them for EMGs or made by EMG, and thus are active since the guitars take batteries).
    The Soloist USA (not the SL-1 - that designation didn't start till about 97 or 98) typically came with a Gain Booster, while other models came with a MidSweep circuit (Fusion, Warrior).
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc,

Man, thanks for that information. That was very helpful. I have not found a lot of information on this era of Jacksons. As far as I know, this Soloist does not have active electronics or a gain booster. I just took it to my local guitar guy to have it set up properly.

Comment

Hi

Try soaking those problematic ones in wd-40 overnight and see if that helps.
        If soaking doesn't help then I would just replace those two saddles.

Knife edges on Schaller trem are rounded and cannot be turned around.
        New baseplate is only about 30$ if you decide to change it.

Comment

Working...
        X