CS Koa PC1... thoughts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullmetalguitar View Post
    If you don't have to have the sustainer and Jackson won't do that pup configuration, then just order it as a Charvel instead. That way you can get it with H/S and still get the strathead.
    Charvel won't do a 24 fret strathead though. Already checked.

Worst case I get the guitar without the sustainer and then install one myself.

I just don't want that damn middle pickup. I've come to realize that I rarely use it. Fact is, I can't remember the last time I used the middle pup on any of my guitars. It's either the bridge pup or the neck.

I've gotten real used to my 5A and started to either remove or if room permits, screw down the center pups on all my guitars that have them.

My playing technique has changed over the years and those damn middle pups just get in my way now.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      Charvel won't do a 24 fret strathead though. Already checked.
      Oh really? That would have to be a relatively new policy...

And, if true, IMHO a pretty lame policy, too.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post

Those are the exact two guitars I was thinking of. Man, I love the top one. And I'd check again to see about a 24 fret strathead Charvel. Why the hell wouldn't they do it? If I ever order a CS Charvel, it would be a 24 fret strathead with the dinky shape. If they don't allow it, then I doubt I'll ever order a CS guitar from them.
        Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
        www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

Interesting.
          My J/C dealer here told me they wouldn't do it.
          Hmmmm...

I may just go the Charvel route if the Jackson CS won't build it my way.

EDIT: Time to find a new J/C dealer to work with. Oh yea... NICE FIDDLES!!!
          -Rick

Comment

I have one as well. I don't have a shot of the full guitar but this is a 24 Fret strathead with the truss rod adjustment at the headstock. I ordered this about two years ago I think.

http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Good luck, RJ. Hope it works out for ya.

FYI - there has been a small smattering of 24 fret pointyhead Charvels, too. IIRC, one or two were even displayed at prior NAMM shows. Not sure why they would treat stratheads differently than pointys. That wouldn't make much sense.

Hopefully, Jack's and my orders haven't inadvertantly led to the creation of a new policy.

Comment

Love the first mock-up Rick. The only thing that concerns me is going with an ebony board. They have a tendency to crack in dryer weather as I've found here in Vegas. I know you're in Arizona so that might be something you'll want to consider.
                BTW - I got you by a few months. I'll be 40 in October.
                Good deals with:
                Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

Originally posted by srommes View Post
                  Love the first mock-up Rick. The only thing that concerns me is going with an ebony board. They have a tendency to crack in dryer weather as I've found here in Vegas. I know you're in Arizona so that might be something you'll want to consider.
                  BTW - I got you by a few months. I'll be 40 in October.
                  So you're a 69'er

I'm not too worried about the board drying out, but I am still keeping the option of going with Maple on the table for now.

If you could see how often I clean and oil the boards on my guitars you would understand. It's a monthly ritual.
                  Some would say it's borderline obsessive, but I hate a dirty guitar.
                  -Rick

Comment

Hmmm. Not sure they'll do that pickup layout with the sustainer, though. I'm pretty sure that at some point I heard that - to have a sustainer - they won't do any PU layouts except HSS and with the stock Dimarzios.
                    I'll find out soon if that is the case. I just submitted a spec sheet that included a sustainer with a Duncan in the bridge and no middle pickup.
                    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post
                      I have one as well. I don't have a shot of the full guitar but this is a 24 Fret strathead with the truss rod adjustment at the headstock. I ordered this about two years ago I think.

SHAWINGGGGGGG!
                      Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

I love the guitar, esp the lack of a middle pup. I never used mine in any of my PC1s.

Comment

I just got a PC 1 and am finding I'm occasionally hitting the middle pickup when picking. The layout has that middle Pup right in my picking line which I've never had problems with before with middle Pups but this one sits closer to the bridge hum then actually the middle.

That would be cool if they agree to do your version. The 1st mock up looks great BTW.

Comment

Love the first mock up, looks great!

Comment

Another thumbs up on the first mock up, and also on your H/S idea. I would personally prefer a Charvel, if I could get the same neck backshape as the Music Zoo Naturals have. I agree that 24 frets and a Dinky body in Koa would be killer. Good luck, and let us know how things progress!

Comment

Well I've decided to get quotes on both of these versions.

The sustainer is not a deal breaker, but would be nice.

#1 choice:

#2 choice:
                                -Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X