CS Koa PC1... thoughts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a pic of a guitar that is along the lines of what you're planning:

This was my Koa SD1 with a Musikraft 24-fret, Ebony-boarded Strat-head neck. Not flame, as you can see, but a Koa Dinky body with an Ebony-boarded, 24-fret Strat-head and black hardware, anyway, so maybe the pic will be helpful to you.

I have asked Music Zoo to consider doing a run of these, along the lines of their "Natural" series, but with a Dinky body, 24-frets and Ebony. If they did, I would be first in line to buy one, as I am seriously in love with the "Natural" series neck shape.

Comment

As you can see by my screen name I'm a big fan of Koa as a tonewood. It's one of the most versatile of all woods because with humbuckers it has the fatness and sustain of a real good piece of Mahogany with a little more upper mids and presence but in single coil modes it's more like Alder but more bottom end( really good Fat Strat type tones). And when you play your koa guitar unplugged it will usually be louder than other similar guitars with dif. wood and it sort of sounds "plugged in"already the basic EQ and tone is there instead of being dead or "plinky ". The guy who told me about Koa was the Luthier Mike Tobias-known for basses, and he was very right. I'd also like to try Korina as well , which I've heard can be very resonant also and sometimes brighter. Let us know how the Guitar turns out tonewise, obviously it's gong to be beautiful looking........
      Last edited by robertkoa; 07-13-2009, 02:02 AM.

Comment

I vote #2 myself.

heh heh. I said #2....

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
          Here's a pic of a guitar that is along the lines of what you're planning:

This was my Koa SD1 with a Musikraft 24-fret, Ebony-boarded Strat-head neck. Not flame, as you can see, but a Koa Dinky body with an Ebony-boarded, 24-fret Strat-head and black hardware, anyway, so maybe the pic will be helpful to you.

I have asked Music Zoo to consider doing a run of these, along the lines of their "Natural" series, but with a Dinky body, 24-frets and Ebony. If they did, I would be first in line to buy one, as I am seriously in love with the "Natural" series neck shape.
          That is a beaut!! If you could get MZ to do a run like that I would put down a deposit on one without hesitation.
          Good deals with:
          Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
            Well I've decided to get quotes on both of these versions.

The sustainer is not a deal breaker, but would be nice.

#1 choice:

#2 choice:
            Both look killer Rick. Don't think you could go wrong with either.
            Good deals with:
            Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

Love the first mock up..looks incredible!

Comment

Thats going to be such a nice looking guitar
                "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
                Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

If they will build it for you, it will be only with Phil's Blessing..

and from what I understand, he is pretty cool about that stuff..
                  Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

Really? I had no idea they consulted the artist for stuff like this...

That would be very cool to know that your CS guitar would be Phil approved.

Comment

Same here. When I showed Phil the limited run we did when the Strathead was announced he had no idea about it. He liked it.
                      http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                        Well I've decided to get quotes on both of these versions.

The sustainer is not a deal breaker, but would be nice.

#1 choice:

#2 choice:
                        Both look sweet. A Pau Ferro board would look pretty neat on that, too.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

great idea!
                          but maybe Pao ferro as fingerboard will give the axe more exotic look?

OMG, sorry Toejam ))
                          didn't notice your remark )))
                          I want to ROCK!!! with:
                          Jackson Custom Shop Dinky '08
                          Jackson Sl2h-MAH '04
                          Jackson PC-1 '07
                          Gibson Les Paul Classic '01
                          Fender Japan Stratocaster '88
                          Vigier Excalibur Original '97
                          Ostap Custom Tele
                          Frankenstein Strat (self made)
                          DIY Tele

Comment

LOL That's funny. The reddish look of Pau Ferro would work nicely with it. Hell, even rosewood would work on it.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by robertkoa View Post
                              As you can see by my screen name I'm a big fan of Koa as a tonewood. It's one of the most versatile of all woods because with humbuckers it has the fatness and sustain of a real good piece of Mahogany with a little more upper mids and presence but in single coil modes it's more like Alder but more bottom end( really good Fat Strat type tones). And when you play your koa guitar unplugged it will usually be louder than other similar guitars with dif. wood and it sort of sounds "plugged in"already the basic EQ and tone is there instead of being dead or "plinky ". The guy who told me about Koa was the Luthier Mike Tobias-known for basses, and he was very right. I'd also like to try Korina as well , which I've heard can be very resonant also and sometimes brighter. Let us know how the Guitar turns out tonewise, obviously it's gong to be beautiful looking........
                              Korina is an EXCELLENT tone wood. I almost never plug mine in. It's the best sounding guitar I own hands down and I built it.

It's pronounced soops

Comment

Working...
                              X