No announcement yet.

Jackson factory setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But a setup is a very individual thing. What you consider "the best setup for that guitar" may not be the same as what someone else considers "the best setup for that guitar". There may be players who would have loved the 335 with "high" action because of the zero fret noise and clearer tone, and who were not concerned with doing fast runs or chording above the 3rd fret.

As well, what you consider "set up well" or "a good setup" is equally subjective. What works for one does not work for all.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
      But a setup is a very individual thing. What you consider "the best setup for that guitar" may not be the same as what someone else considers "the best setup for that guitar".
      Absolutely agree. There is no single best. I like my setup to have slight relief in the neck and the action as low as it will go with minimum of buzzing and allow a 1 step bend. If I can't bend any note on the neck 1 step, then the action has to go up.

I played a guy's guitar (a strat - actually, its now my strat) that you couldn't bend anywhere in the 12-17 fret range on the neck - the action was so low. He didn't bend notes all, so it worked for him, but as soon as I got it, I set it up for me.

And you're right - a slide played probably would have been satisfied with the setup on that 335.

However, there are other things that are less subjective - such as pickups adjusted so high the strings hit them when fretted (the 335), bad intonation, a nut thats cut too low.

So there is a middle ground in the setup world that is "acceptable." And there are setups that are near-universally unacceptable.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

My definition of an acceptable setup for the sales floor.( The rules at my shop)
        You can chord all the way to where the neck and body meet and still have good intonation. The average player doesn't have to struggle to properly fret a note or a chord. Minimal buzzing that can't be heard when amplified. Full step bends can be made without fretting out.Trem will stay in tune if used but not abused.

I agree setups are very personal and there is no " one setup fits all".
        When you can shoot arrows off the neck or can't play because there is too much buzzing then its not acceptable. Most retailers that I know do as little as possible before the guitar goes to the sales floor. Some are lucky if it even gets tuned. I do know of a few that make sure the guitar is playable and within tolerances before it hits the floor.

Comment

Well, that's the difference between a player running the store and a businessman who doesn't play - the businessman usually doesn't know anything about the instrument.

I'm not sure what type of setups can be done on say brass and woodwind instruments - the things that most "business-run" shops start out selling (ye olde Mom n Pop shoppes everyone hates), but I'd venture to say they don't require a setup, so when geetars start pouring in the door so the shop can compete with "them other guys", they don't bother to learn anything about them or hire someone who does know about setting them up. They usually just stick them on the wall with the MSRP as a price tag.

It also appears to be a sign of which companies give their setup "techs" a spec sheet and a set of tools and show them the basics of what to do rather than using someone who has some idea of how a real guitar should play and sound.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            It also appears to be a sign of which companies give their setup "techs" a spec sheet and a set of tools and show them the basics of what to do rather than using someone who has some idea of how a real guitar should play and sound.
            Yeah, but that's also the realities of running a company. Everyone wants a perfect setup, but everyone cries foul when the price goes up.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

LOL... Some of you guys just kill me... first of all, the USA stuff is set up at the factory, but it is set up to specific formula not for any specific individual! I do set ups all the time in my shop (I own a Mom & Pop) and people drive to my shop from over an hour away to have their guitars set up, They come from Sacramento and San Francisco just to spend the day visiting Napas wineries and have me do a set up for them, they make a day of it I guess. My point is that each person has a specific set up that they like, I have a customer who likes a high action... I can't stand it that way, but he is the customer and it is his guitar... I set it up to his specifications. If you come into my store and get a guitar down off of my wall, and you don't like the set up, I will take it to my bench and tweek it while you test drive another guitar.... All of the guitars are set up to a general setting which most people will play, but I will need a customers input to get it perfect for him/her!

In a nutshell... don't expect a guitar to be delivered to your front door set up to your liking... If it is, that's great, otherwise pay someone to set it up (or do it yourself). Most of the time people will put brand new strings on the guitar when they first get it delivered... If you change the guage, you'll need a new set up most of the time anyway!
              Last edited by Shibs; 08-03-2009, 03:16 AM.
              Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

whats the factory recommended spec/setup for a jackson DK2M?
                i mean,
                1)Action
                2)Truss Rod Relief
                3)Pickup height

i know its an individual thing..but there has to be SOMETHING jackson recommends?
                thanks

Comment

Really stupid question.....

What are you guys considering the details of a "setup" to be?

I ask because it seems many people have it done by a pro?

When I do my setup I simply:
                  1. adjust the height of the Floyd Rose to my action liking.

2.Adjust the tension springs on the FR block so it sits level in the body with the guage strings I use.

3. Adjust the pickup height accordingly.

What am I missing?

I thought the truss rod was something that rarely needed adjusting?

As far as intonation, you tune the guitar and then recheck the tuning at the 12th fret..??.. Then you move the saddle forward or backwards depending if it's flat or sharp at the 12th???
                  Jackson USA guitars
                  BC Rich guitars

Diezel Herbert
                  Diezel VH4
                  Framus Cobra
                  VHT UL
                  Mesa Rectifiers rev C, F, triple F
                  Mesa MK3
                  Bogner rev 2 Uber

Comment

I often times need to do a truss rod adjustment when I set up my guitars. I like a really low action, so more often than not, an adjustment needs to be made. I also have to do slight adjustments twice a year or so to compensate for the climate changes. It goes from really dry and cold to pretty damn hot and mucho humidity here.
                    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

What are the signs of the truss rod needing adjusting?
                      Jackson USA guitars
                      BC Rich guitars

Diezel Herbert
                      Diezel VH4
                      Framus Cobra
                      VHT UL
                      Mesa Rectifiers rev C, F, triple F
                      Mesa MK3
                      Bogner rev 2 Uber

Comment

Working...
                      X