Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guitar Lawyer View Post
    Awesome! How is the ebony?
    Feels F'n fantastic - but honestly I've seen better slabs. Lots of pores - you can really see it under sunlight.

OK guys - no additional pics yet - crappy weekend upstate NY - not enough sun at the right times for a photoshoot.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by shredtilurded View Post
      Nice guitfiddle. Look forward to the review.

That guitar is:

Well that guitar is by no means a nice assed big titted girl on a beach..... But it is sexy
      "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
      Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Well I opened the package to find the MAPLE fretboard. I have not heard back from the seller he had both for sale. What to do?? Hope he did not sell the EBONY board.

Comment

Nice guitar GT . For me its weird seeing the Jackson logo on a Strathead.
          But the color combo can't be beat. I too would add the Murray and Gers Iron Skynyrd three-guitar trio of axes. good thing is you can just buy a six-paxk of single-coil sized humbuckers to stick in strat-copies!

Seriously though. I know you wanted it for a long time..did you take the day off from (ahem) working to make sure and be there for UPS? (I'll bet a pointy you did- a sure sign of obssesive/compulsive disorder re:GAS).

Congrats on the great axe!
          Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
          98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Originally posted by schofnsteen View Post
            Well I opened the package to find the MAPLE fretboard. I have not heard back from the seller he had both for sale. What to do?? Hope he did not sell the EBONY board.
            Contact him right now man, don't wait. Good luck.
            Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
            98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Originally posted by toxikdeth View Post
              Well that guitar is by no means a nice assed big titted girl on a beach..... But it is sexy
              *COUGH*

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                *COUGH*

The guitars fake?
                "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
                Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

Originally posted by 85 San Dimas View Post
                  Nice guitar GT . For me its weird seeing the Jackson logo on a Strathead.
                  But the color combo can't be beat. I too would add the Murray and Gers Iron Skynyrd three-guitar trio of axes. good thing is you can just buy a six-paxk of single-coil sized humbuckers to stick in strat-copies!

Seriously though. I know you wanted it for a long time..did you take the day off from (ahem) working to make sure and be there for UPS? (I'll bet a pointy you did- a sure sign of obssesive/compulsive disorder re:GAS).

Congrats on the great axe!
                  Did you miss this thread while you were on vacation in Montana, 85?

Two down, 1 to go - I'm thinking a road worn black strat and a tutu for Janick's...

No day off - I made it home frrom work well before the 7:30 pm delivery time - last stop for UPS.

Originally posted by toxikdeth View Post
                  The guitars fake?
                  It better not be or I need to drive up to Mass. and kick some ass.
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Grandturk, do you have the maple board version as well?? How do they compare??

Comment

Originally posted by schofnsteen View Post
                      Grandturk, do you have the maple board version as well?? How do they compare??
                      No - just the ebony. neilli's got the maple board - he got one of the first ones. Search for a "Adrian Smith" post from earlier this year.

I would imagine they would actually feel pretty similar. Ebony and maple (unfinished) feel and sound very similar to me. Maybe ebony is a little slicker to touch.
                      Blank yo!

Comment

Awesome axe!
                        Ratt & Roll

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                          No - just the ebony. neilli's got the maple board - he got one of the first ones. Search for a "Adrian Smith" post from earlier this year.

I would imagine they would actually feel pretty similar. Ebony and maple (unfinished) feel and sound very similar to me. Maybe ebony is a little slicker to touch.
                          I agree. As superficial as it sounds, I just prefer the look of ebony because it's dark, but depending on the guitar, maple can look better.

Actually the thing I more dislike about the maple AS Sig is the black pickguard, if they both had white pickguards I'd have a much tougher time deciding.

And, maple isn't quite as finicky care-wise as ebony, too. Ebony tends to crack and chip a lot more easily.

So, how is it hanging in there after 2 weeks? Honeymoon over? Still loving it? Any regrets?

I'm down to one of these, a PC1, or a nice SL2H for my next GAS attack.

Comment

I actually like the maple version better because it has a black pickguard. Seems too white with the white PG. I know Piney Hills has a ebony model in stock and part of their 'back to school' sale. I thought about picking up that one, but ended up ordering a maple board instead...so in a few months, I'll be a member of the AS fanboy club too!

Thanks Grandturk, Nelli, and Nick for pushing me into the AS over the Charvel promod!

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                              I agree. As superficial as it sounds, I just prefer the look of ebony because it's dark, but depending on the guitar, maple can look better.

Actually the thing I more dislike about the maple AS Sig is the black pickguard, if they both had white pickguards I'd have a much tougher time deciding.

And, maple isn't quite as finicky care-wise as ebony, too. Ebony tends to crack and chip a lot more easily.

So, how is it hanging in there after 2 weeks? Honeymoon over? Still loving it? Any regrets?

I'm down to one of these, a PC1, or a nice SL2H for my next GAS attack.
                              You guys are killing me - stop posting on this thread! Everytime it comes up I'm reminded that I haven't taken any new pics of the guitar yet - I blame the weather, the wife, god, and Vishnu for my laziness!

I thought I would like the black pickguard better (my first real guitar was a white HSS Fender Strat with a recessed Floyd, black pickups and pickguard and rosewood board) but once I got the ebony, it was thumbs way up - the black on white on white is very cool in person. I think a black pickguard would have diminished the impact of the ebony. It would have just been a black and white guitar.

The coolest thing about a maple board, such as on my ProMod - is that eventually, it will be completely grimey and filthy. Other than that, the ebony with the abalone inlays is striking.

Honeymoon wise - its still my #1. It has a brighter, more middy tone - it makes me think of the word "tight" when I think about its tone. Pinched? Refined? Maybe "refined" is better. Great single coil sounds. This thing is definately a rock n' roll machine. I think it will find its way into the hands of a lot of players over time - much like the PC has. Its a really great playing strat.

Some factoids (pre full review):
                              - Its routed H-S-S - so forget the thoughts of a neck hummer.
                              - The pickguard is really jammed under the fretboard lip - you can't get it off without removing the neck - this may also have something to do with the neck single coil route - you can't get the angle to get the pickup out of the route without bending the pcikguard because its jammed under the fretboard
                              - The recess for the trem cavity cover was routed after painting - so its bare wood (didn't EVH patent this? Will Jackson get in trouble for allowing wood to breathe with the patented "EVH Non-Painted Areas of Wood to Allow the Wood to Breathe?")
                              - No "headstock" license sticker - I thought these were standard
                              - I hate the fuggin' plastic they put on the pickguards. I've got little bits of it coming out from under the knobs - I've got to loosen the pots to get all the plastic out of there - sux
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Well the guy is sending the ebony board so I can compare side by side. Will post pics and descrip as soon as I get it. Probably nest week. The playability of the maple is UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOthing like it. I like the esthetics of the ebony board better. It will boil down to tone and playability for me. The maple will be hard to beat but my eyes want the ebony board. p.s. I do think the JAckson logop looks better with the all maple neck!

Comment

Working...
                                X