What do you think would suit me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think would suit me?

Alright guys, I'm in the market for a Jackson. I've been an Ibanez guy for a long time and don't have a Jackson yet. Do you think Jacksons are better suited for metal, rhythm more than Ibanez?

I think I want a guitar without a floating tremolo for convenience. This will be for rhythm mostly anyway. I could also just get a floating trem guitar and lock it down somehow where it won't move. I don't know where to start on my quest for a new riff guitar...

i think alder bodys produce a heavier tone than basswood if i were you i would look at a dinky or a soloist

Comment

The first thing you'll notice with a Jackson over the Ibanez is the distinct difference in tone. If you've used Ibanez for years, your ears are used to hearing that tone, and your amp has been tweaked to compliment that tone.

All guitar brands sound different, and the important fact a lot of people overlook is that your amp will most likely have to be dialed in all over again.

As for what suits you, it depends on what model Ibanez you've been using the most. If it's the RG shape, then you'll want a Dinky or Soloist since those are similar shapes (Dinky being bolt on with an oiled neck, which is closest in feel to an RG).

If on the other hand you've been using JEMs with thin necks, you might look at a USA Rhoads or KV for a similar neck profile, but it's not oiled, so you won't have the same feel.

If you've been using a non-Strat shape (that Noodles sig thing or an Iceman), then you might want a Morton or Kelly.

Any guitar is suited to any type of music if you're a good enough player.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

There's never been a particular sound or style of playing I cant conjure out of a good Jackson or a good Ibanez.

But I would guess you're after something like an SL2HT.
        All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

I would recommend a Adrian Smith if you want a more traditional style... but them you give up 23 and 24.

One thing I would miss from Ibanez is the 2 & 4 position mixes - they have a unique sound that is kinda stratty, but kinda not - probably from a mixture of woods and the position of the pickups with the 24 fret neck.

If you could get a H-S-H Dinky, that would keep you in the same ballpark, maybe.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

If you are open to blocking the trem to dive only, that leaves many more models on the table.

Comment

Yeah I'm not a fan of basswood, only reason why I don't dig Ibanez. Otherwise its fine. The alder takes on a whole level of improvement with punchier/snappier bass clean mids and clear sounding highs.

What guitar shape are you looking for? A lot of people come to Jackson since they have wild body shapes that they pioneered. (ESP followed their designs but I love them too)

Tell me a shape and I can make some recommendation. I've tried out a lot of Jacksons. They make every guitar shape they have in a non locking tremolo system.

Jackson was born on heavy metal actually. The Rhoads guitar was the first Jackson. But what people don't know is that they are suitable for tons of music styles. I put a Tb-5 Seymour Duncan in my guitar and yes definitely very versatile! The other Seymours put in other Jacksons are TB-4 JB which are just as versatile.\

NEWC: youre dead on again! The Ibanez has a distinct sound that people love or hate about it. It has that "smooth" rounded sound that I'm not a fan of. It works for Satriani/Vai but It doesn't have that raw character I need. Even with distorted pickups I can still hear the Ibanez tone.

Heres One Guitar for now:
              http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-...16-i1445402.gc This guitar I've tried and its one of the best playing/feeling guitars I've tried. The Neck thru is great and its so light but deep sounding.You can get it much less than advertised price, as they had a like new/used model for only $650 instead of $1000.
              Last edited by Danzo; 08-20-2009, 11:32 AM.
              Equipment
              -Jackson Kelly Std. Professional J003908 (blood red) w/TB-5
              -Marshall MG15 CDR hosted by
              -VOX Tonelab ST (tube)

Comment

The SLSMG is a great guitar for the money , mahogany body , neck thru, and emgs. It's an awesome looking and playing guitar. I love it.

Comment

Only the RG series is Basswood. And a few selected other models like the PGMs.
                  The 540s, some Prestige and JS series are Mahogany, as are the awesome J customs (the best guitars Ibanez offer and some of the best you can get anywhere) and the Jems are Alder.
                  All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

I was a dead set Ibanez guy for a number of years... then I got a Jackson. I own a Jem and have owned other Ibanez models like RG's, RBM's, etc. Then I picked up a Rhoads model (RR1) and an SL2H. Still have both, love 'em! The neck profile is a little thicker on the Rhoads then on the SL2H so I would recommend the soloist models (or KV) if you're used to the Ibanez profile. I definitely noticed a huge tone difference going from my Jem (stock) to my Soloist (stock pickups). Jacksons sound a lot thicker and fuller to me (most likely the neck-thru). Anyways, HIGHLY RECOMMEND A SOLOIST!!!!

Comment

I'm actually not too set on any shape of guitar. I'm used to all of the RG-type bodies so that's fine, but I'm not opposed to anything else either. I just want something that will feel comfortable. The SLSMG actually looks VERY nice, but, I'm not sure that I want active pickups.

The SL2HT looks interesting, and maybe perfect for what I want it for. I looked around and I think it's discontinued though so I'd have to buy used. I wouldn't mind just getting an SL1 and locking down the trem though. I wouldn't mind locking any trem down to dive only like Axewielder mentioned.

I want a guitar that's nice and slick for recording metal rhythm, just a riff guitar, so that's why the trem doesn't matter. I'll either lock it down or get a guitar without a floating trem. I'm pretty much open at the moment.

Comment

SL1-T
                        RR1-T
                        SLSMG
                        SLS3

Or an Ibanez RGA series.
                        Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

WR1. I got two, need another
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Some quick thoughts.

Thought about getting a a Charvel production and and setting the trem to a non floating top mount?

Now, I'm a trem guy, but if I wasn't, I'd look at the Mark Morton. I think the body looks really cool, and in demo's I've heard, people seem to get a really aggressive rhythm sound out of it.
                            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

If you wanted something in between a Ibanez and a Jackson, you might want to try something Caparison makes.

Comment

Working...
                            X