What is a fair price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a fair price?

Looking at a 1993 SL1. Stock and probably an 8.5-9 out of 10. Includes case.

I was told 93 was the last pre-Fender year and that somehow "might" make it more desirable.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Oh, yeah - 93 was definately "pre-Fender."
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

I don't know about what a legit fair price is, but "pre-Fender" is just sales smoke and mirrors I think. I don't believe there is a signifigant quality difference between pre and post Fender builds. I would be wary of transition models however just because in a buyout/transitional period some of the workers will hold a grudge and not make their best efforts.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by satch0922 View Post
        Looking at a 1993 SL1. Stock and probably an 8.5-9 out of 10. Includes case.

I was told 93 was the last pre-Fender year and that somehow "might" make it more desirable.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
        Fender didn't buy Jackson until 2003, so if that is your concern, don't worry.
        But honestly, I think the quality got better after the buyout.

Regardless.

What's the serial number?
        Judging by the fact that it has a JT-590 trem, it's definitely an early 90's fiddle.
        -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          Fender didn't buy Jackson until 2003
          October 2002.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

it is a 1993 Serial # is U02523

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              October 2002.

Ok so forget the pre-Fender garbage! LOL

What is it worth? The guy is actually wanting to do a trade.

Comment

I'll pull some numbers out of my ass since no one else has...

Black SL1 is not hard to find. In mint condition used they go for $1100 - $1300.

Schaller is a minus IMO. Goofy single-coil routes are also a minus, but the Jackson pickups aren't bad.

It's hard to guess your definition of 8.5 out of 10 and mine might be different, but my interpretation of that tell me it's worth maybe $900 at most, I'd be happy paying $800 for it.

Comment

thanks!

Comment

How is the Schaller trem a minus? It's a great trem equal to the OFR.

The straight single routes will give you problems, however. All you can put in are EMGs and older Duncans/DiMzos that don't have the tabs and whose wires do not come out of the middle.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Nice guitar, and early 90s build quality was great. But I wouldn't go over $1000 these days....

Comment

Duncan is currently making the "nontabbed" singles with the wires out the end. Not sure of Dimarzio. You can request with or without tab if you need to order pups. Also the JT590 is a great trem. It is made by Schaller who also makes the OFR. The main difference is the blade inserts vs the cast knive edges of the OFR and the stampped steal vs the cast steal of the OFR. ither than that. Both are great trems and the 590 has shorter string block screws making it a smaller profile for those tricky small counter sunk routs.
                        Gil

Comment

Pre Fender superiority is a myth used by people selling pre Fender guitars. I have pre and post Fender guitars and there's no difference in quality. Some people may consider it a plus point but its nothing to do with reality. More like a romantic notion.

Schaller trems are widely regarded as equal to or better than OFR. My personal opinion is they are equal in quality. Both excellent.

The Jacksons pups are dependent on taste. A lot of people "upgrade" them as they have an indifferent rep. I think there are better pups but give them a while before you decide. They may grow on you.

As for price. You'd pay about £750 for that guitar over here at the moment. Which is about $1200. Of course, they are easier to come by in the USA so a price of $900 - $1000seems about right to me.
                          All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                            How is the Schaller trem a minus? It's a great trem equal to the OFR.
                            The smaller route is a minus, because you can only use the Schaller, which I have no spares of any kind and don't care for as much as the OFR.

I did say "IMO" - that means "in my opinion." So what I'm saying is, I might be less inclined to pay as much for that one as I would one with an OFR, and it doesn't really matter if my reason makes sense to anyone but me.

Comment

I have pre- and post Fender USA Jacksons and I can't find either lacking in quality.

I'd agree that somewhere around $800-$900 would be a good deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X