No announcement yet.

Turd polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done my share of turd polishing over the years and I really try to stick with imports from Japan. Even so, there are some models and years better than others. I've tried other imports (Korea, India, China) with very mixed results and ended up scrapping quite a few projects. For me, it seems Japan import Jackson/Charvels are a great base for modding. If you are on a tight budget, Evil bay or the classified section here always has some good deals if you're on top of it. I just picked up a loaded 375 Deluxe body that was pretty reasonable. Just my opinion.

Comment

You cant polish a turd.......... but you can roll it in glitter....

Comment

^^

Comment

Originally posted by tcwil8 View Post
          I've done my share of turd polishing over the years and I really try to stick with imports from Japan.
          This makes good sense. A perfect turd for myself or Zeegler would be early-mid 80's Aria's. Great guitars craftmanship wise, perfect for modifying. I really like the neck profile, most came with large frets. Good tonewoods as well. One I have as a project is 4 blocks of solid maple, with a maple veneer to cover the seams. I wish my Bengal SL2H was build to the same standards - the seams in the body can be seen through the paint at the right angle.
          Last edited by DonP; 11-18-2009, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by salmonella View Post
            You cant polish a turd.......... but you can roll it in glitter....
            Pics please. On second thought, never mind.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              Look, newb, I don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth.

You can see all my JCF bros came to my defense. I was pretty excited when the JS shape series (24 fret Rhoads for the masses, yay!) came out - until we found out where they were made. Actually, someone bumped my old thread so you can read it for yourself. Too bad some of the pics are gone, they were hilarious. I had grandiose plans involving getting a JS30WR and modding it with a different neck, pups, etc. Eventually I came to the conclusion - like NextinLine advised you here - that's it's just not cost effective.

You like your JS Warrior: that's great, just save up for your next, better Jackson. WRT to the WRXT, IMO it is pretty crappy, especially the early ones, so I am steering you away from that model (it is barely 1 step above JS). I'm not gonna bore you with what Warriors I have had or still had, yadda yadda, I will tell you I've never spent anywhere near $ 1500 on a guitar, just look at my post count & my start date and read some of my old threads before you cast aspersions. :idea:
              Wow, someone woke up on the wrong side of the amp, this morning!
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

I started off with a JS30KE Kelly guitar. I loved it, but sold it to buy a KE20. It's entirely up to you. Personally, I liked the tons of the JS30KE better than my KE20, but a pup swap helped that out. If I were you, I would just save up for my next axe, instead of upgrading the JS. It's always better to have more guitars! But if (like me) funds just don't allow you to that, then just trade up towards the guitar you really want. You can stumble across some great guitars for the same price (or just a little more) as you can get a good replacement neck for your JS.

Bottom line: Do what's best for you, your budget, taste, and playing style. If you like that JS, then just play the hell out of it and enjoy it!
                My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                  Wow, someone woke up on the wrong side of the amp, this morning!
                  Fuk yoo!
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I thought you're supposed to flush turds, not polish them.
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                      Fuk yoo!
                      I'll skip, thanks.
                      I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                      X