Let's talk strings gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Newc View Post
    So where does one find a hand tool that will measure the tension of a given string on a given guitar? There's some brand-to-brand comparisons I'd like to see.
    Not sure this is feasible. The tool to measure this is called "tension dynamometer".

Comment

Hmmm. I was hoping for one that would measure the tension of the string installed on the guitar. This info would account for a lot of the tonal variety between brands that have otherwise identical features.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Matt do you have a chart for the tension of all strings from .009-.056 at a 25.5 scale? thanks John.

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
          Matt do you have a chart for the tension of all strings from .009-.056 at a 25.5 scale? thanks John.
          Check out this list from D'addario. All the measurements for electric strings are based on a 25.5" scale length.

Better yet, just check out this string tension calculator. Be sure to change the 3rd/G string to "PL" for plain and the D, A, and low E strings from "PB" to "NW" for nickel wound.

Comment

One thing I dont get is wether the tension should be calculated using the scale length (saddles to nut) or using the effective "movable" string length (ball end to tuners). On a double locking guitar those numbers are the same, but on a strat for example the difference in length is quite big.

Comment

I think the idea is to use the whole "movable string length". That will get you closer to getting the "feel" of the strings the same.
              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                I think the idea is to use the whole "movable string length". That will get you closer to getting the "feel" of the strings the same.
                The thing is: as you you increase the scale length, the tension increases also. But the felt tension decreases. I have since installed a callaham trem block in one of my strats which adds another inch to every string. The block makes a set of 10s feel considerably lighter, big difference really.

In the article that MetalMedal II posted earlier, the guy calls this percieved tension 'compliance', so I'd need a string compliance calculator really. Anybody?

Comment

I have been discussing this matter with some other tech heads and have some more info...

As far as I can gather, string construction & tuning set the tension. More string length outside of the speaking length (i.e. scale length) makes the string more "compliant".

So you can add all the string length you want outside of the speaking length and the tension of the string will not change. But the longer it is, the looser the string will feel and play provided the string is free to stretch and isn't bound in the nut or bridge saddle. Downward string angle outside of the scale length has the same affect.

I think a lot of confusion in this matter arises because folks only look at one physical property (tension) and that is leaving out another very important physical property (compliance).

That's it in a nutshell.

Here is an area I'm still pondering: scale length WITHOUT consideration for string length outside of the speaking length. A longer scale length should have a looser feel due to compliance, but a string has to be drawn to more tension to reach the same given pitch with a longer scale length. My guess is that the increased tension of a longer scale length overrides the amount of compliance and that is why a longer scale length generally has a tighter feel compared to a shorter scale length. So within this example, the tension physical property has more affect than the compliance property. That is my hypothesis anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X