No announcement yet.

Pro Mod truss rod adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks... My Jackson needs an adjustment but it look like a special tool may be involved... or a real skinny socket... Congrats on your Straight Necks!!!
    sigpic
    Action Jackson

Comment

Thanks, I am just letting it settle now. I have undone these screws too many times now to count.

Yeah, there would be a special socket you need. Some can use an allen key as well. It all depends on the guitar.

It's good being able to do the adjustments yourself. Very handy.

On my SD1 I thought it was maybe broken but it's just really stiff where there supplied allen key was no good as I needed better leverage, so I got a nice T-bar handled bigger one and she was sweet.

Comment

Yeah I had the truss plate off today and it only accepts a socket so... I will have to find one... still kind of shy about messing with the neck though... I would hate to fuck up my one and only Jackson
        sigpic
        Action Jackson

Comment

You just turn it a little each time and let it settle, which is super easy when the adjustment is at the nut end of the headstock. You keep it in tune and in tension, very easy compared to detuning the strings and undoing the neck and then tuning back up to see what's happened.

Thank F it's just about over. I'll see how it is tomorrow.

Comment

Is there anything I need to know about taking the plate off and adjusting the neck? Any pitfalls or things outside of the noraml be careful stuff? I love my Pro Mod, but the neck has a bit too much of a bow in it for my tastes, so I'm thinking about adjusting it. I've just never taken a neck plate off or adjusted it in that position before. So you can do it without completely removing the strings, just have to loosen them? Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks.

Jeff

Comment

I just pop the tremolo springs off, with the nut still locked.

Comment

^Considering a dive bomb instantly releases string tension and a neck handles it fine, that's probably okay.

But I do it this way:

1) loosen nut screws
                2) slack strings
                3) finger tighten nut screws
                4) remove springs (I do the outside two first then the middle one last)
                5) unscrew neck screws. Try to keep a grip so you can hold the neck in the pocket until you have all of the screws out. Then I lay the guitar flat and carefully pull the neck. I do this with care in case there are shims or anything so I can take note of where they were and so forth. My Pro-Mod Wildcard Dead Calm Aqua had a shim in the body end of the neck pocket.
                6) adjust truss rod
                7) carefully put shims back (if there were any)
                8) re-install screws. There is a tendency to over-tighten the neck screws. Just tighten them until snug.
                9) install trem springs (center spring first, then two outer)
                10) loosen nut screws
                11) tune to pitch
                12) check relief and if it's good....lock the nut and play away.

I can do all of that in probably 10 minutes.

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure it's OK, because if you take the springs off one at a time, by the time you are down to the last spring, the neck isn't under much tension at all.

Then when you put it back together, it's all more or less tuned up to pitch and you can check the truss rod immediately.

Comment

I had a nasty accident with my Model 88 putting the third spring back in, but that's not a bad idea....the cover is usually off to set the Floyd level so I'll try that next time.

Comment

Cool, thanks guys. I'm going to try to play around with it a bit this weekend. I don't want to spend the money on a tech and quite frankly enjoy doing this stuff myself. The guitar and neck is a dream to play, just the bow in the middle makes the action a bit higher than I'd like.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff5 View Post
                        Cool, thanks guys. I'm going to try to play around with it a bit this weekend. I don't want to spend the money on a tech and quite frankly enjoy doing this stuff myself. The guitar and neck is a dream to play, just the bow in the middle makes the action a bit higher than I'd like.
                        Are you sure it's a bow in the neck that's causing the action to be high?
                        I'm only asking because there seems to be a lot of people who think the truss rod is a "magic wand" of sorts that will fix your action.
                        There are several things that can affect action. If there's a bow in the neck, adjust it. If not, move on to other steps (like nut height, bridge height, neck angle, etc.)
                        My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Hi Daly. I'm pretty sure it's not the bridge as if I go any lower I get horrible buzz but still alot of sag in the middle. I actually don't like my action quite that low anyway. I'll check out those other options if the truss rod adjustment doesn't do the trick, although they might be a bit beyond my skill level. Thanks.

Jeff

Comment

The truss rod seemed to do it. I gave it about a quarter turn, maybe a smidge more, reconnected it and it plays fantastic. Just the right amount of curve in the fretboard and I can get the strings medium/low with very comfortable action. Taking off the neck was ALOT easier and less intimidating than it sounds or than I mentally made it =).

Comment

Cool, glad you got it going. Truss rod adjustment in general used to scare the crap out of me. Something about bending the neck of my guitar backwards didn't settle well with me.
                              But I have never been afraid to rip my guitar apart and start changing other things...makes no sense, but that's me!
                              My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X