No announcement yet.

1987 Soloist dead notes and buzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bumping up a thread from the past. I just picked up an 87 bolt on and have the same issue. The truss rod tool will not fit because of the shim. I need to straighten my neck and it is driving me crazy. Serious design flaw.

Comment

For my Model 6 with the same setup, I have (like Jazz said) a very thin walled socket and use an extension to get in from higher on the headstock where the strings are further apart. Don't have to remove anything but the cover. Can't use the TR tool on these.
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I have a nut driver with a long T handle. It fits fine.

Comment

Originally posted by bratfink View Post
          I have a nut driver with a long T handle. It fits fine.
          Thats what I use so +1

Nice guitar and great color.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Tried all my socket wrenches. None fit. Guess a trip to the hardware store is in order.

I am quite shocked at how poor the access is to the truss rod. I have owned lots of different brands, and this is a first. Pretty damn frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Pro Am View Post
              Tried all my socket wrenches. None fit. Guess a trip to the hardware store is in order.

I am quite shocked at how poor the access is to the truss rod. I have owned lots of different brands, and this is a first. Pretty damn frustrating.
              Working on a friends dinky I assumed someone broke an allen wrench off in the adjustment nut. Feel pretty dumb now

Comment

My guitars sometimes get buzzes after i change the strings. Next time i change them it goes away. I think humidity chnages etc can also affect this.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcussgr View Post
                  My guitars sometimes get buzzes after i change the strings. Next time i change them it goes away. I think humidity chnages etc can also affect this.
                  the reason for this is doing a setup without new strings. after playing, strings(especially unwounds) get small dents/deformations in them. this makes it possible to run lower action. until you put new strings on and they buzz

Comment

Originally posted by Green Pro Am View Post
                    Bumping up a thread from the past. I just picked up an 87 bolt on and have the same issue. The truss rod tool will not fit because of the shim. I need to straighten my neck and it is driving me crazy. Serious design flaw.
                    Yes, it's a design flaw, but at least it's slightly better than the San Dimas days when they used a regular full sized truss rod cover and slapped the behind-the-nut stringlock right on top of the cover. So, to get access to the truss rod, the stringlock and cover needs to be removed. Try doing that just before a gig!
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
                    X