Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The how to pot pickups thread for those with annoying feedback.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow!

I had simply wanted to share with others what I found to be an easy method of removing feedback from my humbuckers. Did not want to start a war of words mind you!

The fact that these pickups are Shaw's and that they come out of my favourite Les Paul is not lost on me. However I simply love this guitar (even more so after the mod) and trust me when I say that I will never sell it.

I have owned literally dozens of guitars over the last two decades and stopped buying any new guitars since I own my three Jackson PC1's as well as my three Les Paul's.

They are somewhat modded to my tastes be it stupid heavy string gauges (13-56) or new or modded pickups.

I play them each and every day and as such they had better perform to my standards or out they go! Kind of like the many tools that are in my work truck really. Function over all else in my book.

Take my opinion for what it is please.....solely my personal thoughts....

V
    Last edited by vklobucar; 11-26-2011, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Yea I know, I go stirring the pot on every thread. in general, if a thread dont relate somehow to blues rock chatter, double stop bends, or the cock dragon graphic, I am generally not interested.
      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
        Yea I know, I go stirring the pot on every thread. in general, if a thread dont relate somehow to blues rock chatter, double stop bends, or the cock dragon graphic, I am generally not interested.
        I have exactly the same issue!
        It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
        ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Here you go. Seymour Duncan taking the original Derrig AFD Les Paul from Slash and dropping the bridge pickup into wax.

I couldn't even imagine what the price of that guitar, let alone that pickup must be.

Comment

I know I'll prob catch hell from some for resurrecting another dead thread, but oh well. Kudos to vklobucar for making his guitar more his. There's purists who are more concerned about the value of something, then there are others who are more concerned with how something works for them. To borrow a song lyric... "you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself". Thanks for posting this for others that it may help with a similiar issue. To me, sharing knowledge and experiences with those who need it is what JCF is here for.
            In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Funny... his stove says Gibson...
              I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                Funny... his stove says Gibson...
                Wow, it does. Sharp eye you got there.
                HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I pot pickups all the time.
                  Some change in tone a little bit, most do not.
                  I use hot plate, double insulated tub,
                  50/50 parafin, bees wax mix.
                  temp no hotter than 150 degrees,
                  I let them soak and shake periodically for at least 20 minutes
                  then let them cool to room temp.
                  For my High gain settings, it is a must to avoid microphonic feedback.
                  >^v^<

Comment

StewMac sent this newsletter out today about potting pickups that might be useful to anyone planning on doing it. There's some good info there provided by Lindy Fralin. He's using 100% paraffin was as opposed to his earlier recipe of 80% paraffin & %20 bees wax. He says the bees wax can darken the tone of the pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
                      StewMac sent this newsletter out today about potting pickups that might be useful to anyone planning on doing it. There's some good info there provided by Lindy Fralin. He's using 100% paraffin was as opposed to his earlier recipe of 80% paraffin & %20 bees wax. He says the bees wax can darken the tone of the pickup.

http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0168.html
                      Also got that newsletter today. I always look forward to getting their emails and learning new and informative stuff.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

But the stove MUST be a Gibson in order for the potting to work well! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          Also got that newsletter today. I always look forward to getting their emails and learning new and informative stuff.
                          Indeed, some of them are really cool and very informative. Just and FYI for anyone else, they are archived on StewMac's site.

Comment

Originally posted by murkat View Post
                            I pot pickups all the time.
                            Some change in tone a little bit, most do not.
                            I use hot plate, double insulated tub,
                            50/50 parafin, bees wax mix.
                            temp no hotter than 150 degrees,
                            I let them soak and shake periodically for at least 20 minutes
                            then let them cool to room temp.
                            For my High gain settings, it is a must to avoid microphonic feedback.
                            I do it the same way. The bees wax makes the wax less brittle and a little more pliable. Keeps it from cracking. I am surprised that no one mentioned the Temperature before. I usually keep mine as close to 147 degF as possible.

As far as covered pickups, you do not have to remove the covers to pot them. Just dip and let sit for a few minutes. Agitate it a bit to get the air bubbles out. The wax will go into the pickup through any open crevice. Sometimes I'll double or triple dip them to get some additional layers of wax on really microphonic pickups..
                            1996 Jackson PS-4 Performer - Trans Green flame
                            1997 Jackson DX1 Professional - Black
                            2001 Jackson DX10DFS - Trans Red - Soon to be Bubinga Burl!
                            2006 Jackson DK2M - Inferno Red
                            2007 Jackson DXMG - Black
                            2011 Charvel Desolation DC-2 - Trans Black
                            1978 Fender 12 String Acoustic
                            2004 Alverez Acoustic/Electric
                            2011 Fender 4 string Jazz Bass
                            1995 Ibanez 4 string ??? Bass

Comment

Working...
                            X