No announcement yet.

Neck isn't warped, nor back-bowed.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a theory. Im betting the bridge posts are just slightly too tight in their holes. The body contracts, they push out a bit causing all strings to sharpen. As the body expands again, they sink back down under the tension of the strings and is why they havent worked themselves completely out over the years. Measure the amount of bridge post insert there is showing after you tune it. Put it down for a couple days and measure the amount of bridge post insert now showing above the face of the guitar.

Thats all Ive got other than faulty/finicky tuner or someone fucking with you. Youd be amazed how much of a difference just the slightest height adjustment of the bridge makes. On my LPs, you can easily get a halfstep off with 1 thread turn of the bridge post in either direction(about 1-2mm).
    Last edited by Twitch; 02-17-2012, 12:22 AM.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
      I'd imagine there's a slight "wobble point" before it engages in the opposite direction?
      Yeah, there is amount of small dead space before the rod starts tightening again.

Comment

Ok. Didn't wanna pop the nut off the end of the rod and then be in more trouble

Well, after 2 days of sitting unplayed and un-adjusted, hanging on my triple-hanger stand, not in the direct path of my heater vent, in a room that is slightly cool (too much junk blocking the vent ), all the strings have started to go slightly sharp. The neck still shows no backbow: it's still got a visible amount of relief (eyeball). The wound strings are about twice as sharp as the plain strings, with the high E being closest to in-tune.

If I hold the guitar strings-down so gravity pulls the neck forward, the strings are in tune. As soon as I return it to playing position, they're sharp. If I lean it back at an angle just a bit, they're even more sharp (as would be expected).

There is no detectable lifting of the posts/inserts, nor of the grommets.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well, Im left with just this, WTF?

Comment

Welcome to my world

I mean, surely I don't have Neodymium A5s by some bizarre twist of galactic tomfoolery and they're ripping the strings out of tune? Surely this beast isn't still gooey on the inside and ejecting the posts? Surely it's not expanding into a 25.5" scale with a 1 11/16" nut width and growing 2 more frets?

And as I said earlier, aside from this one mind-fu*k, it's a fabulous guitar!

And despite it being billed as an SLS, it's a lot thicker than my NASLs and the SLS3 I had. It's closer to full-thickness, but with the SLS body shape.

Maybe it knows it's a freak and doesn't like it?
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Maybe just go for larger strings to increase the relief?

Comment

Why would he want more relief when the guitar is already setup the way he likes it?

Comment

Originally posted by adampone View Post
                  how long has it been doing this? might be barking up the wrong tree, but some guitars go flat or sharp with temperature variations, such as when it goes to winter.

based on what I'm reading here, it doesn't seem like it'd be the situation, but we might as well throw in the kitchen sink while we're at it.
                  That's been ruled out.

@Newc:

I wonder if you can set up some sort of jig, to hold the guitar in the position in which you normally store it, and measure how much the neck moves over the course of a few days right after it's been tuned. Maybe with a few of those 6" steel rulers (that have mm measurements). If you could measure the movement of the neck at the nut and the 7th fret, on both sides, we could rule some things out. I'd do this three or four times per day for a few days. I'd also record the temperature in the room, just to be thorough. It's the only way we'll find out if the neck itself can be ruled out.

Comment

^I agree. Eyeballing it is part of the problem here. That just isn't accurate enough. Especially when trying to diagnose something this bizarre.

At least get a quality straightedge and feeler gauges and measure the neck at different intervals.

Comment

But then I have to ask myself if this is enough of an issue for me to warrant the expense of the tools that may or may not diagnose the problem, and further then if I should put out any money to correct.

Comment

That's what I'm talking about my man....killer top....best inlays ever....remember seeing the NAMM pics of that and didn't realize you got it....nice!
                        RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                        RIP Dime

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          But then I have to ask myself if this is enough of an issue for me to warrant the expense of the tools that may or may not diagnose the problem, and further then if I should put out any money to correct.
                          In my opinion, yes. Personally, if I had a guitar that did this I would have bought the tools or took it to a tech long ago. I'd buy the tools because they would come in handy for other guitars. A straightedge, feeler gauges, and a 6" rule are some of my most used guitar tools.

Comment

I notice in the pics that the grain of the neck goes across the neck, wouldnt this cause more instability than the grain going the length of the neck? Just talking out of my ass here.

Comment

I think the guitar saw the Halford Warrior and this is the result of it shitting it's pants in horror.
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                                I notice in the pics that the grain of the neck goes across the neck, wouldnt this cause more instability than the grain going the length of the neck? Just talking out of my ass here.
                                :think: It's a 1/4sawn neck

Comment

Working...
                                X