No announcement yet.

Neck isn't warped, nor back-bowed.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have nothing really to add other than wanting to see pics....TOM, string-thru....I'm loving it already....

JD
    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
    RIP Dime

Comment

Can't get to my pics at the moment, but I'll give a hint. NAMM SLS in Gretsch Orange with hollow abalone fins.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

www.jcfonline.com/threads/83480-J7176-NAMM-08-SLS-Custom-pic-heavy?highlight=J7176

This one.
        Last edited by Newc; 02-15-2012, 01:13 PM. Reason: stupid smart phone
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Newc, when your furnace is running......is it blowing on the guitar out of a vent? Maybe hold a lighter near your guitar when the furnace is on and see if the flame moves.

Maybe try trading hanging spots with another guitar. Your bridge cant move.......unless you have some sort of alien metal in your guitar strings, they cant shrink. It has to be wood related. Maybe theck is not expanding and contracting ,but, the body may be swelling. This is pushing the string eyelets farther from the bridge causing it to go sharp.-Lou
          " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Oddly enough I thought it might be something with the body expanding, as you say. Either pushing the eyelets or the bridge posts, but after almost 4 years of going sharp, I'd think they'd pop out by now?

I also did think it might be the heater, but no, no sign of direct convection. It hangs on an inner wall, which stays pretty regulated, as opposed to the outer walls which fluctuate with the outdoor temps.

I swap hangers regularly. I've got more guitars than hangers, so I take one down, replace it with one from the floor (triple-hanger stand), then replace that one with another from a different hanger, etc etc.

Comment

Maybe your tuner is effed up and its not out of tune at all
              -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Would be nice, if not for the fact it's a GSP1101

Comment

Take the Whammy pedal out of the signal chain

Sorry, that's all I got.

Comment

No! Not this one! This one is sex on a stick! Wait, it IS a sex stick. Yeah!
                    I like EL34s.

Comment

how long has it been doing this? might be barking up the wrong tree, but some guitars go flat or sharp with temperature variations, such as when it goes to winter.

based on what I'm reading here, it doesn't seem like it'd be the situation, but we might as well throw in the kitchen sink while we're at it.

Comment

the truss rod is shot...

Comment

Originally posted by adampone View Post
                          how long has it been doing this? might be barking up the wrong tree, but some guitars go flat or sharp with temperature variations, such as when it goes to winter.

based on what I'm reading here, it doesn't seem like it'd be the situation, but we might as well throw in the kitchen sink while we're at it.
                          Since about a week after I got it.

Originally posted by moku View Post
                          the truss rod is shot...
                          Doubt it, since relaxing the rod does allow the neck to bend forward enough that the tuning goes flat. This indicates to me that it's a 2-way rod.

When I first got it, and it settled into its new home, the neck did have a slight backbow, and the rod was as tight as any of my others. I loosened it until the nut was loose. I asked here at the time if anyone knew for sure whether or not CS models used a double-acting trussrod (can adjust both forward and back, whereas most rods will only serve to cure forward bending and allow a neck to flex back just by the nature of the wood itself).

While there is no visible backbow as there was in the beginning, the strings are still going sharp, and the nut on the rod is loose enough that if I could get my fingers on it, it would turn.

Comment

if it was kiln dried wood for the body could it still be expanding?, being a string thru that would make the strings go sharp. if it were the neck backbowing, i think after 4 yrs you would have some frets that were buzzing and some fret board level issues.

Comment

Summary of thread so far:

It's the rod.
                              It's not the rod.
                              x 2 pages.

Newc, if it is a double action rod, when turning counter-clockwise, the rod will loosen then it will shortly start tightening again pulling the neck into an upbow.

But if the neck has the desired amount of relief with the rod loose, then the rod really isn't doing anything. And that's okay. As mentioned earlier, some older guitars didn't even have truss rods and they didn't exhibit this problem.

I still don't think this is a truss rod issue because it would have to moving a lot to cause the guitar to go half to full step out of tune. But I do want to ask, are you measuring relief with a straightedge and feeler gauges or eyeballing it?

Comment

Eyeballing. There is visible relief when held in "sniper" position, as well as "golf club" position.

As for the rod, as I loosened it, I stopped when the neck showed relief. The nut on the end of it was loose at that point, and since I didn't need to go any further, I didn't turn it beyond that point so I don't know for sure if it's a double-action or single-action.
                                I'd imagine there's a slight "wobble point" before it engages in the opposite direction?

Comment

Working...
                                X