No announcement yet.

Snapping strings during pull ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look the saddle over really well with a magnifying glass for defects/burrs/wear. A friend of mine uses slinkys, said he was having the same problem. I took a look and it was coming out of the saddle. Trimmed it off at the bend, took some wind off the tuning peg and re-seated it into the saddle. Then I noticed the block was cracked. Not saying this is the problem, but check it over really well. BTW, I know you have more than 1 guitar, does it happen on the others too? If it does, maybe a heavier gauge? I use GHS (.009), haven't broken a string for 20 years or so.
    "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

I would think it would HAVE to be a bur or something in the saddle. I use 9s (Elixirs) and abuse the fuck out of my bar and have never had this happen. I used D'addario 9s for years too and never had this problem.

Comment

Swap that saddle around to another spot and see if the same string snaps.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter View Post
          Look the saddle over really well with a magnifying glass for defects/burrs/wear. A friend of mine uses slinkys, said he was having the same problem. I took a look and it was coming out of the saddle. Trimmed it off at the bend, took some wind off the tuning peg and re-seated it into the saddle. Then I noticed the block was cracked. Not saying this is the problem, but check it over really well. BTW, I know you have more than 1 guitar, does it happen on the others too? If it does, maybe a heavier gauge? I use GHS (.009), haven't broken a string for 20 years or so.
          Jesus, 20 years? How often do you change strings?
          It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
          ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
            Jesus, 20 years? How often do you change strings?
            I change strings fairly often. And don't call me Jesus
            "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

I have been using D'Adarrio XL's since the late 70's. I rarely if ever break a string and I am a whammy bar junky.
              Now on to your problem....
              Try changing your string brand. I have tried different brands at times to see if I was missing something and I had issues snapping strings at the bridge when doing pull ups. I had issues with Carvin strings (I think they are actually Ernie Ball strings), Elixer's (garbage IMHO), and GHS Boomers. I would suggest trying the D'darrio XL's. I use 9-46 custom gauge, 9-42 standard and 10-46 on shorter scale guitars. Never had a problem. I always have to cut all my strings off at string changes because they never break. I change all my strings on all my guitars every 2 weeks because my band plays every weekend. I usually get 2 gigs out of a set of strings before I change them.

Comment

Originally posted by Maiden89 View Post
                I use d'addario's... I started using them because I was having too many problems with ernie ball slinky's. It seems that the slinky's took a long time to stretch and would constantly go out of tune on me... or break!
                And this is the exact problem I've always had with D'Addarios. Open new pack/string it up/tune/stretch/tune/stretch/tune/stretch/tune/stretch/tune/break/repeat/buy EBs.

Love their Blue Steel bass strings. For about an hour. Then they go all dark and flatwound-toned.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                  I have been using D'Adarrio XL's since the late 70's. I rarely if ever break a string and I am a whammy bar junky.
                  Now on to your problem....
                  Try changing your string brand. I have tried different brands at times to see if I was missing something and I had issues snapping strings at the bridge when doing pull ups. I had issues with Carvin strings (I think they are actually Ernie Ball strings), Elixer's (garbage IMHO), and GHS Boomers.
                  Carvin strings are actually GHS Boomers, and I've never had a problem with them at all. I use them on most of my guitars except my one Carvin that gets Ernie Ball Power Slinky tuned to Eb, and my 7-string Carvin that's got EB Slinkies at the moment, but I actually prefer the Elixir 7 set that was on it before and will be switching back to those. I actually had the Elixirs on that guitar for over a year before changing them. Any other guitars get their strings changed after a couple months.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                    And this is the exact problem I've always had with D'Addarios. Open new pack/string it up/tune/stretch/tune/stretch/tune/stretch/tune/stretch/tune/break/repeat/buy EBs.

Love their Blue Steel bass strings. For about an hour. Then they go all dark and flatwound-toned.
                    EB's are for newbs, wannabees and hacks. EB's are for players who don't really play. They just flitter around their guitar necks thinking they play. EB's are for players who think all the power comes from their fret hand when in fact the truth is the power comes from the hand with the pick in it (I call it the trigger finger).
                    D'addarios's are men strings. For manly men. Kind of like Old Spice.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      Carvin strings are actually GHS Boomers, and I've never had a problem with them at all. I use them on most of my guitars except my one Carvin that gets EB Power Slinky tuned to Eb, and my 7-string Carvin that's got Ernie Ball Slinkies at the moment, but I actually prefer the Elixir 7 set that was on it before and will be switching back to those. I actually had the Elixirs on that guitar for over a year before changing them. Any other guitars get their strings changed after a couple months.
                      Elixers are something you tool in the 19th century when you had an illness. They shouldn't be put on guitars. GHS Boomers suck.
                      My guitars actually repel them like a magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                        Elixers are something you tool in the 19th century when you had an illness. They shouldn't be put on guitars. GHS Boomers suck.
                        My guitars actually repel them like a magnet.
                        Haha, to each his own. My corrosive sweat combined with the humid area I live in, I used to get about 3 days out of D'addarios. Yes... three measly freaking days before they were rusted and gunked up. I even wiped them down before/after playing. With my Elixir nanowebs I can get about a year out of them before changing. And I play A LOT. Not only that but I've grown to love the feel, they sound great to my ears, and I've never broken one.

So let's put this in perspective: three days vs. a year.

Lol, certainly not witchcraft to me.

Comment

The Elixirs, as well as Boomers, also sound brighter than the Ernie Balls which tend to get dull/dark sounding real quick. I tried D'Addarios a few times through the years, but I always tend to go back to Boomers. I tried DR Hi-Beams a couple times and liked them... they seem to last a decent amount of time without corroding very fast.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                          X