No announcement yet.

Open chords: Regular vs. Reverse Headstock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The nut needs to be right up against the edge of the fretboard if there is a small gap it will affect intonation.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

You want a perfectly intonated neck?

This is what it would look like:

The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Good one xeno LOL
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post

That's just absolutely fucking hilarious!
          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post

Sully - get a video going on cutting these slots.. STAT!!
            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post

Comment

The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                  As soon as I have a CNC, you got it!
                  Yes, I'm kidding (as that's a patented method), but that's gotta be the only way to do that. I wonder how the frets are made.
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                    (as that's a patented method)
                    There's a couple of different approaches to this (like above) , fanned frets, and different tuning approaches/systems. The newest product I've seen is the (http://www.evertune.com/home/) evertune bridge, and to be honest I think there's a whole mess of products out there to try and capitalize on a VERY small flaw in basic guitar design.

Every one of us decided that the guitar kick ass based off of recordings where somehow the guitar players sounded GREAT with the small tonal limits on a standard guitar.

As far as the OP, check your trem like lots of folks suggested
                    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Do you have the same number of trem springs on both guitars? Are they oriented the same? (ie 3 fanned out in a V shape, vs 4 straight across.) That can make a big difference in how susceptible a floyd is to 'flutter'. Some guys try to set them up to warble like crazy. The side effect is when you dig in, it goes flat and then warbles around that center pitch until the string energy starts to die out.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                        Do you have the same number of trem springs on both guitars? Are they oriented the same? (ie 3 fanned out in a V shape, vs 4 straight across.) That can make a big difference in how susceptible a floyd is to 'flutter'. Some guys try to set them up to warble like crazy. The side effect is when you dig in, it goes flat and then warbles around that center pitch until the string energy starts to die out.
                        +1 That's a very good point and something I did forget to mention Hellbat. This could be the problem as well.
                        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Same number of springs. Both in a fan orientation.

Comment

With a floating trem that hasn't got tight springs on it, it WILL detune slightly for a second if you hit an open string hard, like a warble effect, it will do on other lower fretted notes too but it's less prominent. It's just a Floyd thing, perhaps your other guitar has a different spring arrangement, more springs or springs with more tensile resistance. Also with jumbo frets, when you fret a note low on the first on the few frets hard it will intone sharp. It's all about being as sensitive to the grey areas of the guitar and being sensitive to it, just like bending strings is. Even if you had a TOM bridge or hardtail, it will detune slightly of you hit it hard enough. Are the spring angles and block lengths the same? Replace the springs with newer, more resistant ones or like for like blocks? I can get used to the warble, the thing I find frustrating is fretting sharp notes when playing on the first couple of frets, compared to the open strings.
                            You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Working...
                            X