Collar vs. Screw-In Floyd Arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XSvmbraDensX View Post
    I've done my fair share of using the collared arms until I got sick of them loosening all the time and that "play" that develops and stops your warbles from being smooth. Eventually changed them out to the screw in arms and liked the sturdiness of those, but hated having to use those wrenches every time I wanted to remove or insert the arm, especially during the hectic times of trying to fling your guitar into its case right after a set. Just switched over to the Gotoh style push in arms with the set screws and so far have no complaints as they seem to work well, stay firm, and have no play.
    I must live a charmed life- of the 18 collar style Floyd-equipped guitars currently in my harem and 4 times that in one's I've let go, I've never had the collars "loosen all the time" and they all flutter just fine. I did have one or two that had arms that did move a little bit in the socket. I bought a replacement arm and the problem ceased.

I recently installed one of the push in assemblies on one of my Floyded axes and the swing tension is controllable and effective, the flutters are easy and smooth- maybe even slightly better than most of my collar Floyds, but we're talking degrees so small, it's hard to quantify. The draw back with this one is the arm sits a little higher off the base plate than the collar style but I need to double check if it's pushed all the way in. The other issue is the set screw needs to be loosened to pull the bar out. I keep enough pressure on it to keep it from swinging and that also works to keep the bar from pulling out easily. This is a pain in the ass because you need a specific Allen wrench which, as it so happens, is NOT one of the numerous ones I have stockpiled from current and past Floyds. And FR does not send one with the arm assembly. Luckily, I did have the right sized A-wrench in the tool box. For those who plan on getting one of these push-in arms, plan on getting the proper sized Allen wrench, too. I freely admit I haven't played around with it much other than to assess it's playing performance.
    Last edited by vector; 11-27-2016, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
      The screw-in ones are killer when they hold their tension. Some of them will loosen slightly over time, which is a pain to re-tighten. I tried to stabilize one with loctite, and it didn't seem to help much. But when you get a good one, they will out-warble the collared ones any day of the week.
      When they loosen up and dangle, just throw a couple wraps of teflon tape (purchase locally at a hardware or plumbing supply store) and you're back nice and snug, no dangle!

I was a fan of the JT-6 plug in style until it finally snapped. Replaced with a collar and it's ok. Seems to be better on the Schaller equipped 750 although it seems like there's a tiny bit of play, like a spot where it's slightly worn from being in the same spot. I like my Takeuchi thread in a lot, probably my favorite when it's got a fresh wrap of teflon tape.
      Any way you could possibly put more shit into your sig?

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
        The collar always seemed to have to much play for me, no matter how much you tighten it. I guess your mileage may vary depending on the bridge.
        Agreed!

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        I look forward to your review.
        Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
        I look forward to your classifieds post.

You guys crack me up. lmao

Originally posted by XSvmbraDensX View Post
        I've done my fair share of using the collared arms until I got sick of them loosening all the time and that "play" that develops and stops your warbles from being smooth.
        Same. I'm done with collared arms for good. I absolutely hate them. The one on my 7 string is actually staying put for now. *knocks on wood*
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Got my first Gotoh Floyd tonight, and it has a screw-in arm.

Got an Ibanez earlier this week that has a push-in arm for the Original Edge trem. Been a long time since I've owned an Original Edge.

Time will tell whether I enjoy either more than a collared arm typical of an OFR.

EDIT: Also, thanks to Vector in post #31 for sharing initial thoughts/impressions of the Floyd push-in arm (http://www.floydrose.com/catalog/upg...h-in-style-arm). Looking forward to long-term results/review. I might try one just for the heck of it. The arm that came with my USA So-Cal is a collared arm which I normally like, but no matter how much I tighten the collar, the arm still swings freely. I tried fitting another OFR-style collared arm to that guitar and it tightens just fine, so I'm certain it's just the collar that's wonky.
          Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 12-05-2016, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by artonsafari View Post
            When they loosen up and dangle, just throw a couple wraps of teflon tape (purchase locally at a hardware or plumbing supply store) and you're back nice and snug, no dangle!

I was a fan of the JT-6 plug in style until it finally snapped. Replaced with a collar and it's ok. Seems to be better on the Schaller equipped 750 although it seems like there's a tiny bit of play, like a spot where it's slightly worn from being in the same spot. I like my Takeuchi thread in a lot, probably my favorite when it's got a fresh wrap of teflon tape.
            teflon tape has limited success. I remember reading on here about putting a #6 rubber o-ring at the base of the threads, which will help keep the collar from loosening with activity. this is a sagely piece of advice and I've found it to work wonderfully. unfortunately, it can do nothing to fix the actual slop of the arm in its housing.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
              The arm that came with my USA So-Cal is a collared arm which I normally like, but no matter how much I tighten the collar, the arm still swings freely. I tried fitting another OFR-style collared arm to that guitar and it tightens just fine, so I'm certain it's just the collar that's wonky.
              Certain collars can be wonky. I bought two OFRs from Carvin around '95, one black, one chrome, and the chrome collar kept getting loose. I put the black arm on it, and it was just fine. Putting the chrome arm on the black one still had the loose/wobbly results.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                teflon tape has limited success. I remember reading on here about putting a #6 rubber o-ring at the base of the threads, which will help keep the collar from loosening with activity. this is a sagely piece of advice and I've found it to work wonderfully. unfortunately, it can do nothing to fix the actual slop of the arm in its housing.
                Hadn't thought about the tape for collar arms, works great for the thread in though. Was playing my SDK (after originally reading this thread) and the arm was nice and solid after doing a lap or two on the threads with the tape. I really like that Takeuchi Floyd, so much I have a couple spares to toss in any projects down the road.
                Any way you could possibly put more shit into your sig?

Comment

Working...
                X