Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jacksons and String retainer bars behind the locking nut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am reading it based on the statement in the first post where OP says the guitars do not return to tune.

Comment

Thanks CapNasty and toejam for commenting.

The "going sharp" issues is when I am tightening the locking nuts, I expect this to happen, that's just physics/mechanics, and I expect it to be pronounced with thicker strings when down tuning, but to see the "low E" string go sharp by many cents on your tuner doesn't seem right.

I'm in Europe so ordering replacement "hardened" parts from somewhere like fu-tone might be prohibitively expensive, but potentially worth it. Trying to find replacement trem posts and bushings that don't look like the same "crap" that's already in the guitars on ebay isn't getting very far either.
      Correciton : it helps if you search for "studs" and "anchors".
      Last edited by elrrek; 03-21-2018, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Any Schaller dealer should have those OFR studs and achors available. There must be one in Austria. Also Thomann sells them and www.rockinger.de. No need to order from FU-tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Kisonen View Post
          Any Schaller dealer should have those OFR studs and achors available. There must be one in Austria. Also Thomann sells them and www.rockinger.de. No need to order from FU-tone.
          Good tips
          I did not realise that Schaller have a shop directly on their site now, that's cool.

Comment

Try tuning the strings slightly flat and then lock the nut; that'll help with the strings being less sharp. Then, of course, you'd use the fine tuners to help with any other sharp or flat strings. But if you still have tuning issues using the trem, then it's time to check and possibly replace other parts like mentioned here.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Did you ever try this?

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              Retainers with locknuts are for crazy people.

Use a guitar tuner and verify you can press down on the strings behind the locknut with it locked down and the strings don't pull sharp. If they do, it's either not locked down tight enough and/or the pad is slipping.

Comment

z1n, yes indeed.

Found one problem last night, on one of the guitars the locking nut is held on the neck with two screws going from the string side of the neck into the wood and the screw on the treble side of the neck is freely turning on the hole and not holding the nut in place. So, time to get the wood filler out and reseat that screw.

1 down, 5 to go :P

Comment

I like to glue in a dowel or toothpick and redrill those.

Comment

Working...
                  X