Rattlecan painters: advice sought, questions asked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rattlecan painters: advice sought, questions a

Bengal India is why they're called Bengal Tigers, btw, so the finish is also known as Bengal, not Bangle (as seen on Ebay alot) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As for scratching the paint off with your thumbnail, that's not because of the original finish, it's because you didn't put a topcoat (or a thick enough topcoat).

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

i put several layers of the topcoat that comes with the duplicolor flip-flop paint.
      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I'll tell you guys a little trick to avoid that problem. If the factory finish (usually a urethane) is in good shape and you want to paint over it without stripping it, just pick up a can of "bulldog" adhesion promoter. It's available in aerosol as well as bulk but just get an aerosol can of it. It's available at most auto parts stores or auto body supply stores. Just clean the body good with soap and water, scuff it REAL good with 320 or 400 sandpaper (take off ALL the shiny spots!), spray a couple of light coats of Bulldog on it, let it dry for 10 or 15 minutes, then start spraying the paint. This sh!t will make paint stick to anything! You can even use it to paint over chrome. I've used it a LOT and it works.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Let me get this straight. You guys are saying that no matter what kind of paint you use, as long as you do the top coat right then the finish will hold up? If so, what do you suggest for a top coat?
          "my aim is precise, armed with my own failures"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Let me get this straight. You guys are saying that no matter what kind of paint you use, as long as you do the top coat right then the finish will hold up? If so, what do you suggest for a top coat?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember anybody saying that. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              As for scratching the paint off with your thumbnail, that's not because of the original finish, it's because you didn't put a topcoat (or a thick enough topcoat).

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I took this out of context? [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]
              "my aim is precise, armed with my own failures"

Comment

It was because Newc said this: "As for scratching the paint off with your thumbnail, that's not because of the original finish, it's because you didn't put a topcoat (or a thick enough topcoat).

Newc "

The fact is that if the primer and base-color don't stick, nothing you put on top of them is gonna make them stick any better. Adhesion problems start with the first coat of paint or primer, not the following coats.

Comment

so how does that "bulldog" stuff work if it's an extra layer under the primer??
                  "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                  The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Now now, don't argue with me, remember I'm a Mad Scientist - I say it WILL stick if you want it to [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

OK Mr. Mad Scientist (can I call you Mad?) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      Delt - think of the Bulldog as a "glue" that helps the paint adhere to whatever surface you put it on.

Comment

Working...
                      X