Pickup Suggestions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Suggestions??

<font color="yellow">Hey....I want to change out the single coil in my new Jackson. For passive pickups, I prefer Seymour Duncan's over any other brand for some reason.

I went to the Duncan site and listened to a few of their audio samples.

I am thinking about adding a JB Jr to mine, but I also kinda dug the Hot Rails also.

I guess what I am looking for is a bluesy/midrangey pickup for "warm" leads.

I'm changing out the J50-B to a Duncan Custom also.

Let me know your thoughts, insight, and advice on this.

Thanks.
    </font>

Re: Pickup Suggestions??

I love the Hot Rails. In the neck of my 650xl it gives me great shred metal lead tones. While it is "midrangey" I wouldn't really call it bluesy. You might check out the Cool Rails instead. I've got a couple of those as well. They are more of a bluesy pickup with warm lead tones. If pushed, you can shred with it as well. It just requires a little more effort. Plus, if your guitar is not routed for the lip that the Hot Rails has, the Cool Rails is lip-free.

Comment

I've used the JB jr and the Lil 59, and to do it again, I'd go with the hotrails.

Comment

Another vote for the Hot Rails. Got 'em in the middle and neck positions of my Shannon, with the neck pickup splittable. From Strat to fat, it's probably the best single-coil-sized neck pickup I've ever tried. Gonna be getting an APC Persuader SC to replace it, though... you saw that coming... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a lil 59 that I got from Travis and it sounds great in the neck position of my fusion. Not a high powered pickup, but has a great blues tone.

Comment

hotrails are also available without the lip. I'd say try the lil 59 as well, if you need more power, take the hotrails, but for blues, I think the 59 gives you exactly what you want

Harrald

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              hotrails are also available without the lip. I'd say try the lil 59 as well, if you need more power, take the hotrails, but for blues, I think the 59 gives you exactly what you want

Harrald

[/ QUOTE ]

Hot Rails ARE available without the lip but I was told by the Duncan rep that it would take an extra 6 weeks. I don't know if this still applies, though.

Comment

If you aren't stuck on using a mini humbucker, check out the quarter pound strat pickup - it's pretty kick ass.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

If you're interested in the 1/4, I have an extra one.

Comment

Lately I've been diggin the SDS-1. More noise, but man, it's got some tone! Sounds like a P90. Also the JB jr, hot rails, Fast Track 1 or 2 are some others are good.

Comment

I'm a Duncan forum member myself, and have had nothing but good experiences with Seymour Duncan pick ups.

I reckon you're looking for a warm, smooth sound, not being too harsh? The Lil' '59 would be your tone-ticket, it's got everything you want and more. Medium output, great harmonics, amazing clean ups. The JB Jr. can get very harsh in the upper-mids and the hot rails, well that's a really high output pick up more suitable for Metal IMO. It's great for Iron Maiden type of leads, but it's packing lots of output as well

Comment

COOL RAILS. its the only single coil sized hum ive ever used &amp; i think it sounds great. for warm bluesy/ rock tones its awesome &amp; it cleans up real nice too. its got a little more bite &amp; highend to it than a 59(fullsize never used a lil), which i like because in some guitars the 59 does get a little mushy.

Comment

He's already got the Hot Rails put into his San Dimas. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] But I'm sure he appreciates the extra recommendations. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X