maple neck now with black binding!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: maple neck now with black binding!

Beautiful craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Dave thats awesome....did milling thru the frets mess up the ends at all. & is there anyway to do that & still have the frets over the binding. I prefer the frets over since i always seem to get the strings caught up in between the fret & binding. or at least i did wth my SG & i hated it.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Not at all. I used a brand new 1/2" carbide cutter so it cut the frets/wood like buttah. I'm sure you would have no problem cutting under the surface of the frets and just removing the "tangs" to allow fitment of the binding. It would just require using a smaller diameter cutter, clamping the frets down to the fretboard, and a little more set up time. I would also think it would take a lot of deburring of the frets so the binding can sit neatly under the frets and have a nice "finished" look. The more you have me thinking about it, the harder and more of a pain in the ass it would be [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

man, i want that color! is that a refin or original? - it looks a little darker than the "Burgandy mist" that a lot of them came with. i need a geetar refined like that.

nice job on the binding too, beautiful!
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Awesome job! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Black binding looks so good on maple boards. [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
          Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

I love it [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] ,but I wish you would have taken pics of the process and the steps involved....maybe next time? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

"all i thought of was one word as I was out running this morning, thinking about you coming back...******"-lars Ulrich.

dude. that binding. *Superb* ******ing superb.

Comment

So, you also make neck-rings now? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dave, i don't post much here at the moment due to house projects, but your super cool binding job i just have to comment! What a beautiful, super pro looking job! Man, it's right up my alley - maple board with black binding - hot damn, it looks sweet! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] And again [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

When i get more time on my hands, i might come back and haunt you with endless questions on how you did it and what good advise you can give [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

When you say "old fashioned way" regarding the headstock - what tool did you use, and how?
                Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  So, you also make neck-rings now? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dave, i don't post much here at the moment due to house projects, but your super cool binding job i just have to comment! What a beautiful, super pro looking job! Man, it's right up my alley - maple board with black binding - hot damn, it looks sweet! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] And again [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

When i get more time on my hands, i might come back and haunt you with endless questions on how you did it and what good advise you can give [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

When you say "old fashioned way" regarding the headstock - what tool did you use, and how?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Jeez! I'm sorry I missed your questions fellers!

Thanks for the kind words by the way! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Mr. Rebel: Yes, the color is original but unfortunately I don't have an '88 catalog to tell you the actual name of it.

Henrik: The old fashion way is using a mortise depth cutting tool

(not mine, just an example stolen from the web!)

Then I used a chisel and files to clean up the steps. </font>
                  Dave ->

Comment

LOL Dave, that thing looks like some medievil device stolen from Ronnie James Dio's living room. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Nice work! Looks like a pro-binding job to me!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Dave I have to ask about the neck pocket. Looks to me the neck is crooked or something as it doesn't sit in the pocket level. Was that the camera angle or was the neck really that crooked.

Comment

Jackson-Charvel, the neck isn't crooked. The 22nd fret doesn't touch the body, but the neck still sits perfectly level in the pocket. It's like that on many guitars...check out any Fender Strat and you'll find the same thing.

Comment

Axman I wasn't talking about the 22nd fret not touching the body. Look at the picture. If the neck was level the binding would run parallel to the body, and the gap between the binding and the body at the 18th fret looks around 1/16" where at the 21st fret the gap looks more like 5/16". I have never noticed something like that. I checked my 2 Fender teles and they aren't like that either. I had to confirm my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

Out - **** - standing!
                              750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                              Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                Axman I wasn't talking about the 22nd fret not touching the body. Look at the picture. If the neck was level the binding would run parallel to the body, and the gap between the binding and the body at the 18th fret looks around 1/16" where at the 21st fret the gap looks more like 5/16". I have never noticed something like that. I checked my 2 Fender teles and they aren't like that either. I had to confirm my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">You have to remember bro, that the neck pockets are routed on that angle because of the non recessed tremolo. If it had a low tremolo or a low fixed bridge, then it would be more of a level neck mounting.

Don't worry my friend, your eyes are fine and yes, it's supposed to be that way. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>
                                Dave ->

Comment

Working...
                                X