• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Speaker wiring

i have it wired exactly to the diagram.

Comment

a different ohm wirering can cause an other sound.
      i had the same thing with my marshall.
      with wirered to 4 ohm it is brighter then at 16 ohm.

Comment

InFlamedMonkey: Regarding the manual and the 8ohm.... based on what I wrote about the two output jacks each having the 8ohm note above them, I'm pretty sure what the manual is saying is "less than 8ohm not recommended" PER JACK. Again, if you plug an 8ohm load cab into one jack and another 8ohm load cab in the other jack, you effectively have the amp 'seeing' 4ohms. Plugging your one 4ohm cab into the jack has the amp seeing the same 4ohms. What you CANT do is plug a 2nd cabinet into the back of the amp!!

Regarding your tone issue, nonamemx is correct, you shouldn't hear that much of a difference, maybe very slight, but should be pretty close to same sound with either impedance set up. His mention of out of phase should be checked. I note you mention you wired up exactly like the diagram. If just one speaker was wired backwards, you'd get the 'out of phase' condition and you'd have less bass.

Simple way to check. Take a 1.5V D size battery and a couple wires/clips. Plug a speaker cable into the cabinet jack, and from the phone plug on the other end of the cable, wrap/tape/clip a short wire to the tip section of the plug and another to the body of the plug. Hold the wire from the body of the plug to the negative side of the battery. Then, while watching the speaker cone closely, BRIEFLY TOUCH/TAP the wire from the tip of the plug to the positive side of the battery (DON'T hold the wire to the battery for a long time). When you TOUCH/TAP this wire to the battery, you should see each speaker cone jump forward a little (1/16" to 1/8"). Stare close at one speaker at a time, and tap the wire like 4 times quickly to verify the cone is jumping forward. If wired correctly, all four speakers' cones should jump forward. If you see one or more speakers jump back, then those are out of phase, and you should swap the wires on that speakers' terminals, then recheck with the battery. (FYI, if all four cones jump backwards, then you wired the whole cabinet backwards, and you should swap the wires on your 1/4" input jack).

Hope this helps!

Comment

I have a question about ohms but don't think it needs a new thread. Right now I have a Single Recto 50 head and Mesa 1x12 90watt cab (8ohms). If you caught my posts recently, I tried a JSX and XXX the other day and am considering one of them. My question is, if I were to get one of those heads (120 watt), would I be able to run it though my cab (setting the head for 8 ohms obviously)? Or would the higher wattage of the head risk blowing the speaker?
          Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I have a question about ohms but don't think it needs a new thread. Right now I have a Single Recto 50 head and Mesa 1x12 90watt cab (8ohms). If you caught my posts recently, I tried a JSX and XXX the other day and am considering one of them. My question is, if I were to get one of those heads (120 watt), would I be able to run it though my cab (setting the head for 8 ohms obviously)? Or would the higher wattage of the head risk blowing the speaker?

[/ QUOTE ] You should be fine providing you don't run the head wide open.
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

well turns out the bottom left speaker was out of phase. oh joy. got it rewired and all are pushing out now. just want to make sure that its not going change the ohm rating by switching the wires around. don't wanna blow my head.

Comment

The ohm rating was the same even with the speaker wired out of phase. Now that you got everything right you should be fine, as the head is rated for the 4 ohm load. As mentioned earlier, the fan will help circulation over the heatsinks and will give you a 'safety' margin.

Comment

thanks man, i would rather be safe then sorry and have my room on fire.

Comment

Im glad it all worked out for you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X