• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 24 Frets vs 22 Frets and Picke Up Placement

Sure. I have no idea. I'll buy that.

Comment

here's a Washburn EC36: http://www.guitarshop.net/washburnec...klightning.htm
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Not even Carvin was making 24 fretters back in 1977-1982 when Rhoads was playing, so it's no surprise he preferred 22 frets - the only other alternative on an electric was 21 frets [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

If you look at his white Jackson, with the control and toggle layout, as well as the color and binding colors, it looks like a Les Paul Custom that was just reshaped (imagine it's made of putty, then it's an easier concept to handle).
        I bet if you laid an LTD on top of an LPC you'd see the controls and toggle on each one line up.

And he did play a 12 fret guitar - a classical [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The 22 fret neck humbucker is placed in the node of the wave, so the sound will be less bright, and yes, it's closer to the fundamental, than a bridge pickup, so the sound picked up would be more pure sound of the string. And just use your ears: if you like it, then go for it. I like it better then a 24 fret neck pup, because it sounds warmer and more different from the bridge pup. It's high school physics

Comment

That's the one.

Comment

A 22 fret pup placement is warmer on notes up to the 12th fret, since it's closer to the center point of the string. But the "node" thing changes depending on where the string is fretted (or not).

Comment

Couple things.

I have a Hamer Californian that has 27 frets. Pretty cool and a nice neck. Nice guitar overall. A keeper. But I like my Jackson PC1 much better still (24 frets).

I am going to be getting a couple custom guitars made over the next few years. I have one on order from Jackson right now. A PC1 designed to my specs (different headstock, no scarf joint in neck, scalloped heel and scalloped 22-24th frets, different pickups, no sustainer system).

But I was also thinking about getting a Wayne or Suhr over the next few years. They only come in 22 fret versions.

Both builders say you lose the sweet spot pick up placement with a 24 fret guitar - I think they are talking about the neck pup if I am not mistaken.

The necks on these guitars are suppose to be outstanding and I don't know which one would be better for shredding. It will be intersting to see how they compare agains the PC1 which is the best guitar I have ever played (and I have played most all of them including most custom brands).

I have not played a Wayne or Suhr yet though.

I love 24 frets. But tone is important to me also. I know a lot of it is in your hands.

But I want to maximize my tone also with my guitar design - woods, construction, etc...

If I can get a 22 fret that has better tone due to a fundamental design issue then I am going to go for it.

So I am trying to figure out if there really is a tone difference and some builders say there is.

However, they also go on to say they don't get a lot of requests for 24 fret necks and I am thinking maybe this is really the biggest issue as opposed to a tone difference.
                PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

What Jesse said is correct. Beyond the 12th fret (where you will probably play a lot if you're shredding) the center of the wave will move further away from the 22-fret neck pickup location, so it will be closer to the 24-fret's pickup position.

This is all ridiculous though. Play whatever YOU think sounds better. I'm not even going to have a neck pickup on my next guitar, so....

Comment

Honestly, I usually don't care whether a guitar has 22 or 24 frets. If it plays good and sounds good, that's good enough for me. Rarely have I been noodling away and run out of room at the end of the fretboard. I usually switch strings, since I prefer 24.74" scale necks, and on that scale, with my fingers, anything above the 22nd fret I have to pretty much fret with the edge of my fingernail anyways.

Comment

I never had anything against 22 fret guitars, but since my two current players both have 24 frets I feel kind of "lost" on the upper octave whenever I pick up a 22 fret...I guess I'm just accustomed to the symmetry of having two full octaves which makes it easier for me to move from the first octave to the second. I very rarely use anything above 21 as well.
                      But then again, maybe I'm just crazy-eyed [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I feel kind of "lost" when I pick up a 7 string. Since I tune to C I can never decide whether I should be trying my riffs out on the 6th string, which is usually tuned to E, or the 7th string, which is usually tuned to B. Or tune the first six strings to C, like I usually play, then the 7th to G. Or use the 7th string to do something totally different. MY HEAD IS SWIMMING RIGHT NOW JUST THINKING ABOUT THIS!!

Comment

Working...
                        X