Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New SL2H w/ cardboard under the nut??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New SL2H w/ cardboard under the nut??????

Sully is that a class axe or newer BCRich. ive NEVER seen a PRE class axe USA with an allen key truss rod bolt.

Comment

not sure, really. it's a late 80s st-III serial bc13009, neck plate says LA, California, USA. headstock says made in usa.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

That pic is classic! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

YEAH its class axe or after B7000- B9000 is the transition & the BC plates were after the B plates. its probably early 90's if the fret board end is straight like a C/Js its class axe.

Comment

fretboard edge is rounded! crazy! now what the hell is it?

sully
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

hmmmm, clueless, any chance its a roman. he did have/make alot of them. does the truss rod route have a flat bottom like a CJ or is it fully rounded. & is the neck one piece length wise with 2 sides added for the headstock.

Comment

If I were working on the guitar, I would use cardboard. If Jackson does it too, then I must be totally cool.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  hmmmm, clueless, any chance its a roman. he did have/make alot of them. does the truss rod route have a flat bottom like a CJ or is it fully rounded. & is the neck one piece length wise with 2 sides added for the headstock.

[/ QUOTE ]

the truss rod rout seems to have a rounded bottom...

head is one piece lengthwise and does have the added sides.

Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

For mass produced cheaper guitars, I can see a shim here and there. But on a high end one, I agree it should be done right the first time. I have two 57' reissue strats, and both have a shim under the neck. At first, it bothered me. But now, I don't care. My ears hear everything. I can hear the difference between a preamp tube with shrinkwrap on it, and one without. I can't hear an audible difference with a neck shim. I prefer a neck with tilt adjust. (the little allen screw on the back of the body) I like the idea of being in control of the angle of the neck without using cardboard.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I had a PS4 neck on a Warrior MG body... the Floyd nut was shimmed with cardboard. I don't know if it was done by the factory or the person I got it from.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like Newc....or maybe WarriorX7 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

it almost seems like you wouldnt want to use cardboard because it would compress overtime as opposed to metal or something.

Comment

I like vulcanized fiber.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]
                            I had a PS4 neck on a Warrior MG body... the Floyd nut was shimmed with cardboard. I don't know if it was done by the factory or the person I got it from.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like Newc....or maybe WarriorX7 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Actually, the body and Floyd went to Newc for his "Halford Stud Warrior" creation! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              it almost seems like you wouldnt want to use cardboard because it would compress overtime as opposed to metal or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking along the same lines, that cardboard would deteriorate over time. You can replace it with metal shims, just cut up an aluminum can!
                              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Yeah, card board seems weak for use in a top end guitar.

I'd think that of course there would be variations in tolerances that would require a shi and you can't expect line guitars to be perfect. BUT, they could just have varied thickness plastic or metal spacers for use in the setup area... Prolly quicker to insert than cutting card board to the right size etc.

I'd have an eyebrow raised on that one mainly because it's such a pricey guitar. But, probably typical these days.

Comment

Working...
                                X