Duncan designed pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duncan designed pickups

I have an invader neck in my B guitar with a dimebucker and it sounds pretty good, it isnt too bassy as it is very low mid sounding. Still clear and poppin' fresh though. I think it would be a better match for the x2n I have now. Leaving my other guitar with a dimebucker/super2 setup replacing the 103's, or else I'll just play around for hours n solder them all in n out n in n out....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      The Detonator is super close to the Invader but the Duncan Designed 59 and Distortion sound a little muddy to me. For the extra $10-$20.00 per pickup I would suggest getting actual Seymour Duncans or even better.. go with Dimarzio. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats exactly what I did. Ive had this creme/black zebra super distortion forever. Its been in a bazillion different guitars. I just pulled it out of my sambora strat only because I came across the original fender dimarzio pickup for that guitar. Its like a paf pro on steroids and sounds pretty good, close to the super. I was gonna put a tone zone in the hamer but its black and might look horrid. The zebra looks cool, and of course, sounds great.

Comment

They're just designed by Duncan and manufactured to Duncan specs in countries like Korea to offset cost. Many people complain about these being 'muddy'.. so I have a little experiment going on with different pots/resistor values.
        I picked up a Squire for 75.00 and am swapping out the bridge with a Scorcher rail. It tests at almost 24k..that is a pretty hot single style hum. Since most people complain about the 'muddiness'.. I'll use a 500k push pull instead. For the money, I think they're a decent buy used.
        I paid 10.00 + 5.00 ship for this one.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          The DD in the bridge is too muddy for riffing.
          Its eq is alright... could use more mids and trebs imo.
          Definitely set it far away from the strings, less muddy that way.

I'm guessing its the same warmth, muddiness/smoothness that makes me like it as a neck... notes just flow (still with geat articulation) when u shred/sweep with it. I LOVE its warmth for leads, though I wouldn't play any rythm with it obviously. Great for yngwie's lead stuff.

btw, I did take apart my DD bridge. It's only got one ceramic magnet in there, with 2 smaller blocks of plastic... which I assume are put in place of the invader's 2 smaller magnets... I remember reading on the duncan forum that if u take out the invaders 2 smaller magnets, it becomes tamer, and they liked it better.

[/ QUOTE ]

the DD is muddy [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]
          i find that through my mesa MK-IV it has great clarity and balls and i set it very close to the strings i get a lamb of god ashes of the wake tone with ease and that is far from muddy [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

as far as the pups construction let it be known that the JB,DD and invader are all the same WIND but use different components.
          the JB has a regular size alnico 5 bar mag and the same pup with a over sized ceramic becomes a DD model(same pup different mags)
          if you install the large oxide cap poles and three small narrow ceramics it becomes the invader
          BTW the pastic spacers are shims to keep the pup stable and even on the baseplate [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
          If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]
            The DD in the bridge is too muddy for riffing.
            Its eq is alright... could use more mids and trebs imo.
            Definitely set it far away from the strings, less muddy that way.

I'm guessing its the same warmth, muddiness/smoothness that makes me like it as a neck... notes just flow (still with geat articulation) when u shred/sweep with it. I LOVE its warmth for leads, though I wouldn't play any rythm with it obviously. Great for yngwie's lead stuff.

btw, I did take apart my DD bridge. It's only got one ceramic magnet in there, with 2 smaller blocks of plastic... which I assume are put in place of the invader's 2 smaller magnets... I remember reading on the duncan forum that if u take out the invaders 2 smaller magnets, it becomes tamer, and they liked it better.

[/ QUOTE ]

the DD is muddy [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]
            i find that through my mesa MK-IV it has great clarity and balls and i set it very close to the strings i get a lamb of god ashes of the wake tone with ease and that is far from muddy [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

as far as the pups construction let it be known that the JB,DD and invader are all the same WIND but use different components.
            the JB has a regular size alnico 5 bar mag and the same pup with a over sized ceramic becomes a DD model(same pup different mags)
            if you install the large oxide cap poles and three small narrow ceramics it becomes the invader
            BTW the pastic spacers are shims to keep the pup stable and even on the baseplate [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Savage,
            I'm pretty sure he's referring to the Duncan Designed not the Duncan Distortion.
            My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the Duncan Designed not the Duncan Distortion.

[/ QUOTE ]

that would explain the muddy comment [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Roger that! It gets confusing cuz the acronym "DD" is used when talking about both.
                My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

yea.. sorry guys my bad, too vague. I was referring to duncan designed.

Comment

Are not the Charvel Blade rail singles also a Duncan Designed pup?

Comment

yes i brought another one back from the dead.....
                      but i have a duncan designed question. whats up with the hb-105 active set? anybody tried em out?

Comment

Dude,

These zombie threads are going to munch on your brains

Comment

Wow, that was almost 4 years ago. Not to deraila ny further but has anyone tried those cheap emg clones sold on ebay for like 30 bux? Id like to try an emg in one of my guitars but dont wanna drop $100 bux into it. I think its called a dragonforce or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                            Wow, that was almost 4 years ago. Not to deraila ny further but has anyone tried those cheap emg clones sold on ebay for like 30 bux? Id like to try an emg in one of my guitars but dont wanna drop $100 bux into it. I think its called a dragonforce or something like that.
                            you mean those dragonfire i heard theyre good for what you pay for em, but theyre no EMG's. theres a set on HC or UG in the classifieds. i think he wants like 40 bucks for a H/S/S set. i woulda got em but theyre white.

Comment

From my experience, the DDs have been spotty. Not all of them are bad, but they DO seem to be inconsistent. I had an H103B in a single-hum, floyded strat that killed, then I put a different one in my Model 4, and it sounded like muddy shit. Ultimately, I settled on an EMG passive, and it gave me exactly what I wanted. Nice and clear.
                              Still have that 103B. I MAY try it in my next swap, as the guitar is quite bright sounding in the first place. Maybe they'll compliment each other.
                              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                                From my experience, the DDs have been spotty. Not all of them are bad, but they DO seem to be inconsistent. I had an H103B in a single-hum, floyded strat that killed, then I put a different one in my Model 4, and it sounded like muddy shit. Ultimately, I settled on an EMG passive, and it gave me exactly what I wanted. Nice and clear.
                                Still have that 103B. I MAY try it in my next swap, as the guitar is quite bright sounding in the first place. Maybe they'll compliment each other.
                                emg passive? you mean an hz or a select?

Comment

Working...
                                X