Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dunlop Dual Design Straploks - awesome!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dunlop Dual Design Straploks - awesome!!!

Okay, there's lots of discussion about the Dunlop and Schaller ones here. Are there any other companies that offer locking strap pins?

Still, to me, nothing beats the friggin' large regular strap pins on all my electric guitars (minus my Les Paul) so far. My only incentive to try something new on the Les Paul was because its stock strap pins were TINY. Strangely enough, the stores I went to over the past few days didn't have any large regular pins, so I tried the Dunlops. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

DiMarzio ClipLock - nothing beats it [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

I had a set of Schallers and did not trust a little-bitty pot-metal ball resting in a track roughly 1/3 the depth it should have been.

I mean, you're changing the strap pin out anyway, right? May as well put a seatbelt on it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'm also a big fan of the DiMarzio Cliplock strap and have had quite a few of those on my guitars over the years, mostly the nylon seatbelt material, recently got a leather one for my Les Paul. They're cool, but the plastic clips can rub against the back of the guitar and cause scratches.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]
          I'll never use the Dunlops again...had two sets crap out on me almost landing my Les Pauls on the floor. As those small bearings wear down you lose the locking ability....bad design IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this before too...but I've been using these for years & never had any problems.

I haven't tried Schallers for years, but I remember when I had a set there was some play between the locking mechanism & the strap button.
          They kind of rattled back & forth on the end of the strap button. They were secure but the sound of them rattling around annoyed me.

Comment

You could always go the eyehook + chain method [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I've been using StrapLoks forever, never had a set fail on me, and the ones on my KV2 have been in action for about 10 years. Just make sure to lube 'em up each string change and they'll be fine.

One thing with the dual design ones, is that on a guitar with the button on the back (rather than the edge), you'll find the guitar might sit further out from you than with a traditional button. But you get used to it... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
              Steve.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I'll never use the Dunlops again...had two sets crap out on me almost landing my Les Pauls on the floor. As those small bearings wear down you lose the locking ability....bad design IMO.

The Schallers are MUCH better....the bearings MAY wear out, however, you have that extra collar on it to catch the whole guitar if it does...it is a TRUE dual lock system.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1... my '85 Rhoads hit the floor face first because of Dunlops. Our old bassist had them on one of his basses, it unlocked every couple of rehearsals/shows. I'll *never* use them on anything again.
                ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

I have had similar problems with Dunlops, but have never had a problem from Schallers. The thing I like about the Schaller design is the strap side of the lock. The u-shaped piece allows the strap button to rest in it, holding the weight of the guitar. With the Dunlop design, the weight is sitting directly on the bearings.

Comment

I've found with the Dunlops, once and a while the bearings don't lock into place correctly. As long as you give a little tug on them when you first put them to check if they're locked into place you'll never have a problem. I've been using them for about 9 years.

Comment

I owned one set of Dunlops and they failed, miserably. Let my Les Paul go, twice! Luckily, I was able to 'catch it' both times. After the 2nd drop, I gave them away -- junk. They are an inherently bad design, as when they are used with the locking mechanism and a strap, that whole shebang rides about 1.5cm off of the body of the guitar. Just makes for a weak link, IMO. The fact that you can use the locking pins as regular buttons doesn't really mean anything. The oversize Jackson style buttons or those giant V shaped ibenhad buttons work great for non locking strap buttons. If you want locking, go with the Schallers, they are superior in every way and you can buy just the buttons from Stew-Mac, Allparts etc. So you can own a couple of straps, in different lengths and put the Schaller buttons of all of your guitars. I swear by them and have used them since 86 when I bought my first Kramer. Excepting for that set of Dunlop-crap I mistakenly put on a LP in the mid 90's.

Comment

Only time will really tell if my Dunlop Dual Designs will prevent my Les Paul from crashing to the floor. So far, they're a hell of a lot better than the tiny strap pins that came stock on that guitar. I might try the Schallers or DiMarzios if I felt like going locking on other guitars, but for now, the huge non-locking Jackson/Ibanez buttons are still my favorite. My RG560, KE3, and Soloist have NEVER come loose. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Only time will really tell if my Dunlop Dual Designs will prevent my Les Paul from crashing to the floor. So far, they're a hell of a lot better than the tiny strap pins that came stock on that guitar. I might try the Schallers or DiMarzios if I felt like going locking on other guitars, but for now, the huge non-locking Jackson/Ibanez buttons are still my favorite. My RG560, KE3, and Soloist have NEVER come loose. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never understood why Les Pauls came with such crappy strap buttons for such a nice and heavy guitar. I have a $200 cheapo Kramer that came with nice big strap buttons that I didn't even really need a strap-lock on.

But the Dunlops didn't fail until I took the guitar gigging....moving around on stage and what-not...that just seemed to do them in.

Comment

Ive never had the dunlops fail. BUt what killed them for me was IMO a design flaw. The locking part comes so to speak "béhind" the strap pin, in other words the strap is farther from the guitar, giving it more leverage on the screw.

Not mnormally an issue, unless you jump off a drum riser witha a brand new custom shop axe. The landing tore the entire button clean out, screw and all. There´s a nice slice of wood missing from the upper horn of that axe since that day, a chunk out of the headstock, and a replaced tuner.

That incident alone converted me to Schallers. Although Dunlops can also be recessed, eliminating this problem. But also eliminating their major advantage over the Schallers, the "strap forgettability"

To each his own, I personally just feel that my axes are safer on Schallers. And ALL of them have them, except my bass where I went the Screw-eye route [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

BTW, www.rockinger.com makes strap pins for Schallers that are longer, giving you the possibility of using a Normal strap again. But I don´t trust the leverage on these any more than I do the Dunlops....

Comment

Schallers. Because of the way they are designed even if they "fail" they will still hold your guitar on. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

STAY AWAY FROM THE DUNLOPS!

They WEAR OUT! @#$@#$!@#$%#!@%@#$%@#%@#$%@#%@#$$##$$@#

My $2100 custom Warwick hit the ground because of these wearing after about a year of 3x/week usage.

http://home.comcast.net/~bartelt1508/cwarwick.jpg
                                http://home.comcast.net/~bartelt1508/warwickcustom.jpg

AVOID THEM LIKE THE FUCKKIN PLAGUE!

I had 2 sets of these on different guitars, they both wore out. If you want your guitar to EVENTUALLY hit the ground, use them.
                                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                                X