paintjob question for a project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: paintjob question for a project

Well,I guess you take your chances either way,like I said from experience I personally would strip it down to wood and start anew if for nothing else to save hours of frustration from having to redo it in case of a foul-up. Of course that depends on the finish you use,I've not had good luck at all using nitro over poly,but maybe other types of paint would be ok.
    Good luck,and post pics of it when you're finished!

Comment

Another point in favour of NOT stripping it back to the wood, I ALWAYS end of taking out numerous small chunks (especially from the edges). The larger chunks are easiy to spot and get filled straight away, but the smaller ones often go unnoticed until AFTER the first coat is applied, and then they stand out like a sore thumb!!
      I guess care and patience really is the key here.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Another point in favour of NOT stripping it back to the wood, I ALWAYS end of taking out numerous small chunks (especially from the edges). The larger chunks are easiy to spot and get filled straight away, but the smaller ones often go unnoticed until AFTER the first coat is applied, and then they stand out like a sore thumb!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You stripping guitars with a clawhammer? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        You do have to be very careful though,especially with bevels of sanding away too much wood,but as stated above with care and patience you can make it look factory or better than!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I sand down the clearcoat to the paint, sand the paint so its not smooth, for new paint adhesion, then I paint it, and then sand it smooth, an then apply nitrocellulose clearcoat several times... and that's it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget to clean with naptha and primer after sanding. Don't sand the color coat smooth or the clear won't have anything to grab onto. There is a book, sometimes on ebay, called how to get a factory finish with spray paint cans. Might be worth the $20 to get.

Comment

gotta be careful though; rattle can stuff isn't always naptha/mineral spirits/prep-sol safe. sometimes those solvents will take what you just shot right off.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You stripping guitars with a clawhammer? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              You do have to be very careful though,especially with bevels of sanding away too much wood,but as stated above with care and patience you can make it look factory or better than!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, Im no professional at this, I just make a small crack in the finish, ram a thin baking tool under there and it comes right off! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Of course this only works on the front and back, and for the side I have to painstakingly pick away at it with a razor blade. Im sure theres a better way, but my ham-fisted approach has worked for me so far!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X